Moving from UBmail (Central Email) to UBmail Powered by Exchange
Learn how to update your email client settings, transfer contacts from your old Central Email account to your new Exchange account, and how to re-create your email filtering rules. (Your email messages will be transferred for you by UBIT staff.)
Operating System: Windows 7 and above, Mac OS 10.7 and above
Applies To: Individuals on "volunteer" appointments with UB (paid by sources other than UB) who are migrating to UBmail Powered by Exchange
Last Updated: March 1, 2018
Did you receive an email migration notice?
These instructions are only for those customers who were contacted about migrating from Central email to Exchange.
Re-Configure Email Settings on Your Devices
You need to change the email settings to those used for UBmail Powered by Exchange.
Copy Contacts from Central Email to Exchange
Step 1: Export / Download Your Contacts from ubmail.buffalo.edu
- Log into http://ubmail.buffalo.edu
- Enter your UBITName and password
- Under Secondary Mailbox, click the UBmail (Central Email) button
- In the upper right, click Address Book
- Near the upper left, click Export
- Save the contacts.vcf file on your computer
Step 2: Save Your .vcf File as .csv (Windows only)
- Go to Computer > C: > Users > Computer Name > Contacts
- Click Import. If there is no Import button visible, click >> and then Import.
- Select vCard (VCF file)
- Navigate to the folder where you saved your Contacts in Step 1, select the file and click Open.
- Review your contacts in the Properties box and click OK. for each when they appear as you want.
- Click Close.
- In the Contacts window where your contacts are stored, click Export or >> and then Export.
- Select CSV (Comma Separated Values) and click Export.
- Navigate to where you want the file saved, then enter a name and click OK.
- Select the fields you want to export, then click Finish.
- Click Close.
Step 3: Import Your Contacts ".csv" File into Outlook
Outlook and the Outlook Web App (OWA) Share Contacts
If you want to import your contacts .csv file, you must import it through the Outlook desktop client. OWA is not able to import your contacts, but contacts will appear in OWA once imported through Outlook. As you add contacts later on, either with Outlook or OWA, they will appear in both Outlook and OWA.
- Right-click the Contacts folder, click New Folder, type a name for the new folder, and then click OK.
- Click the File tab in the Ribbon, and then click Open & Export (Office 2013 and newer) or Open (Office 2010) on the menu.
- Click on Import/Export (Office 2013 and newer) or Import (Office 2010).
- Select Import from another program or file, then click Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values, then click Next.
- If the file that is displayed is not the correct file, click Browse , browse to the folder mentioned in step 2, and then double-click the file to select it.
- If you are importing into a new folder, the Options settings are irrelevant because there are no duplicates. If you are not importing to a new folder, choose the most logical selection. Click Allow duplicates if you are not sure, then click Next.
- Click the Contacts folder or another contacts-type folder that you have created, then click Next.
- If you are not sure that the column names in the first row of the spreadsheet will map correctly to the Outlook fields, click Map custom fields to verify them.
Outlook 2011 for Macintosh
- Make sure to have the contacts folder highlighted.
- Drag and drop your *.vcf file into the middle white column and it will auto import all the contacts.
Outlook 2016 for Macintosh
- Open Outlook 2016 for Mac and click on the icon for contacts, which looks like two people side-by-side.
- At the top left column you will see the Contacts folder.
- Drag and drop the *.vcf file onto the Contacts folder (not in the wide white space column in the middle).
- The contacts will auto-populate your contacts folder.
Re-create Filtering Rules
Your email filters will not be copied over. Learn how to create new ones in either Outlook or the Outlook Web App.
How long will I have access to both email mailboxes?
Your UBmail (Central Email) mailbox will be deleted within 30 days of your mail being forwarded to Exchange.
How long will it take for my emails to be copied to the new system?
It varies depending on the number of email messages you have in your account. The average time is about 48 hours.
What email programs does UB recommend I use?
- Microsoft Outlook (part of Microsoft Office). UB does not make Microsoft Office available to individuals on volunteer appointments.
- Microsoft Outlook Web App (OWA) (OWA lets you access your Microsoft Exchange Server mailbox from almost any Web browser.) Volunteers may use OWA.
Is there a way to automatically export my filters from the Central email filter tool?
Unfortunately, there is no export functon. You must manually re-create your filters.