Moving from UBmail (Central Email) to UBmail Powered by Exchange
Learn how to update your email client settings, transfer
contacts from your old Central Email account to your new Exchange
account, and how to recreate your email filtering rules. (Your
email messages will be transferred for you by UBIT staff.)
Operating System: Windows 7 and above, Mac OS 10.7 and
Applies To: Retirees, UB faculty and staff migrating from
the Central email system to Exchange
Last Updated: July 20, 2017
Did you receive an email migration notice?
These instructions are only for those customers who were
contacted about migrating from Central email to Exchange.
Re-Configure Email Settings on Your Devices
You need to change the email settings to those used for UBmail
Powered by Exchange.
Copy Contacts from Central Email to Exchange
Step 1: Export / Download Your Contacts from ubmail.buffalo.edu
- Log into http://ubmail.buffalo.edu
- Enter your UBITName and password
- Under Secondary Mailbox, click the UBmail (Central
- In the upper right, click Address Book
- Near the upper left, click Export
- Save the contacts.vcf file on your computer
Step 2: Save Your .vcf File as .csv (Windows only)
- Go to Computer > C: > Users >
Computer Name > Contacts
- Click Import. If there is no Import button visible,
click >> and then Import.
- Select vCard (VCF file)
- Navigate to the folder where you saved your Contacts in Step 1,
select the file and click Open.
- Review your contacts in the Properties box and click OK.
for each when they appear as you want.
- Click Close.
- In the Contacts window where your contacts are stored, click
Export or >> and then Export.
- Select CSV (Comma Separated Values) and click
- Navigate to where you want the file saved, then enter a name
and click OK.
- Select the fields you want to export, then click
- Click Close.
Step 3: Import Your Contacts ".csv" File into Outlook
Outlook and the Outlook Web App (OWA) Share Contacts
If you want to import your contacts .csv file, you must
import it through the Outlook desktop client. OWA is not able to
import your contacts, but contacts will appear in OWA once imported
through Outlook. As you add contacts later on, either with Outlook
or OWA, they will appear in both Outlook and OWA.
- Right-click the Contacts folder, click New
Folder, type a name for the new folder, and then click
- Click the File tab in the Ribbon, and then click Open
& Export (Office 2013 and newer) or Open (Office
2010) on the menu.
- Click on Import/Export (Office 2013 and newer) or
Import (Office 2010).
- Select Import from another program or file, then click
- Select Comma Separated Values, then click Next.
- If the file that is displayed is not the correct file, click
Browse , browse to the folder mentioned in step 2, and then
double-click the file to select it.
- If you are importing into a new folder, the Options settings
are irrelevant because there are no duplicates. If you are not
importing to a new folder, choose the most logical selection. Click
Allow duplicates if you are not sure, then click
- Click the Contacts folder or another contacts-type
folder that you have created, then click Next.
- If you are not sure that the column names in the first row of
the spreadsheet will map correctly to the Outlook fields, click Map
custom fields to verify them.
Outlook 2011 for Macintosh
- Make sure to have the contacts folder highlighted.
- Drag and drop your *.vcf file into the middle white
column and it will auto import all the contacts.
Outlook 2016 for Macintosh
- Open Outlook 2016 for Mac and click on the icon for
contacts, which looks like two people side-by-side.
- At the top left column you will see the Contacts
- Drag and drop the *.vcf file onto the Contacts folder
(not in the wide white space column in the
- The contacts will auto-populate your contacts folder.
Re-create Filtering Rules
Your email filters will not be copied over. Learn how to create
new ones in either Outlook or the Outlook Web App.
How long will I have access to both email mailboxes?
Your UBmail (Central Email) mailbox will be deleted within 30
days of your mail being forwarded to Exchange.
How long will it take for my emails to be copied to the new system?
It varies depending on the number of email messages you have in
your account. The average time is about 48 hours.
What email programs does UB recommend I use?
- Microsoft Outlook (part of Microsoft Office).
Outlook Web App (OWA) (OWA lets you access your Microsoft
Exchange Server mailbox from almost any Web browser.)
Is there a way to automatically export my filters from the Central email filter tool?
Unfortunately, there is no export functon. You must manually
re-create your filters.