Learn how to configure Microsoft Outlook or Mac Mail to send and recceive your UBmail.
Operating System: Macintosh
Last Updated: August 13, 2019
Microsoft Outlook is the preferred email client for use with Exchange Mail.
By default, Outlook for Mac sorts messages by Conversations. If you prefer for your messages to be sorted by date instead:
Select By Conversations > Date Received
If you don't want to sort by either Date Received or Conversations, you can choose to sort by Attachments, Categories, Date Sent, Flag Status, Folder, From, Priority, Size, Status, Subject or To.
If setup instructions didn't work, you can manually configure Outlook.
|Field||Information to Enter |
|Field||Information to Enter|
Mac Mail is the default email client that comes with Macintosh computers, and is an alternative to Outlook.
1. Launch Mac Mail application. If the Add Account dialogue appears, skip to step 5.
2. Select Mail > Preferences.
3. Select the Accounts tab.
4. Click on the + under the Accounts list window to set up a new email account. This will begin the Add Account dialogue.
5. Select Exchange from the choice list. Click Continue.
6. Enter your Full Name, buffalo.edu email address, and UBIT password in the appropriate fields, then click Continue or Sign In. This will start the Autodiscovery process.
7. Once Autodiscovery is complete, an Account Summary will appear. Click Continue (if available).
8. Select the apps you wish to use through the Mac Mail program, then click Done.
Outlook for Mac is the preferred desktop program for a shared email situation, i.e. an assistant needs access to someone else's email. Outlook clients do this automatically. Apple’s native mail client Mac Mail does not. If you choose to use Mac Mail, you must configure it for IMAP.
Mac Mail on Mac OS X 10.9 and below does not appear to work with shared email. As an alternative, you can:
Tested on Apple's Mac Mail v 11.2 - 3445.5.20.
These steps are to configure the Mac Mail client so that another mailbox (which you have full access to) can be seen inside your current profile.
If you have a password for the shared mailbox, do not follow these steps. Use one of the Mac Mail OS X configuration steps in the sections above instead.