Making a Video Call
Learn how to use your video device to maximum effect.
Set Up Your Video Device
You need a camera to share your video, but you don’t need
one to see other people’s videos.
To set up your camera:
•Click Options in the Lync main window, then click
•If your don’t see your video preview, make sure the
camera is working correctly.
•To adjust settings, click Camera Settings.
Start a Video Call
1. Pause on a contact’s picture and click the camera
2. An alert pops up on your contact's screen to accept your
3. When you’re done, pause on the camera button and select
•Stop My Video: ends your video, but you can still
see others’ videos.
•End Video: ends all the videos for you, but
you’ll still have audio.
Start a Video Conference
You can also click the camera button to add video to an IM or
Start an ad-hoc video conference to discuss a subject that
requires immediate attention.
1. Select many contacts by holding down the Ctrl key and
clicking the names.
2. Right-click the selection, and click Start a Video
3. When you start a video call, you automatically use Lync
4. Use the video controls to manage the conference.
Answer a Video Call
When someone calls you, an alert pops up on your screen.
To answer the call, click anywhere in the picture area.
Click Ignore to reject the call and send to voice
Click Options to take other actions:
• Reply by IM instead of video.
• Answer With Audio Only if you
don’t want to share your video.
• Set to Do not Disturb to reject the call and avoid
Use Video Controls and View
Click Pick a Layout and choose an option:
• Gallery View shows all the participants’
• Speaker View shows the presenters’
• Presentation View shows only the meeting
• Compact View shows the tiles of the
participants in a compact window.
Manage the Participants
To manage the participants, right-click their video or
• Mute, Unmute, or Remove the person
from the meeting.
• Lock the Video Spotlight locks video on the person
• Pin to Gallery keeps a participant visible in the
Full Screen View
• Click Pop out video gallery to see the
videos in a separate window.
• Click Full Screen View for a large view of
• Click Pop in video gallery to go back to regular
Invite Other People to a Video Call
1. In the conversation window, pause on the people button and
click Invite More People.
2. Select the invitees from the Add People window
and click Add.
3. Your new invitees receive a request to join your
Add Video to an IM Conversation
Click End Video to stop sharing your video with others
AND end their video feeds to you.
1. Pause on the camera button and check your preview.
2. Adjust your camera if needed, and click Start My
3. To stop sharing your video, click Stop My Video.