Operating System: Windows
Applies To: UB faculty, staff and students
Last Updated: October 6, 2017
If you have Office from UB, you may already have Skype for Business on Windows. You can check:
Skype for Business on Windows is available for download from UB for UB faculty, staff, and students. Please make sure you have the ability to install an application on your computer. Contact your department IT support, if necessary.
Installing Skype for Business will fail. Uninstall the Click-to-Run version and install Office 2016 from UB.
1. Log on to your computer as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
3. Click Microsoft Lync.
4. Click Uninstall at the top of the window.
The Skype for Business client comes in 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
To see what version you need, open Microsoft Word and choose About Word under the File menu. A dialog box opens, showing the full version number and bit version (32- or 64-bit) at the top.
If you have Office 32-bit installed or do not have Office installed, download the 32-bit version.
If you have Office 64-bit installed, download the 64-bit version.
1. Run the installer Setup.exe.
2. Accept the Microsoft License Terms and click Continue.
3. Click Install Now for UB configuration.
4. Wait while Skype for Business installs.
5. Click Close when the install completes.
6. Reboot your computer when prompted.
7. Launch Skype for Business to complete the installation.
a. The Skype for Business client will open to a Sign-in screen.
b. Enter your UB email address as your Sign-in address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org.
c. Enter your UBIT password when prompted.
d. Click Yes to save your Skype for Business sign-in information, or No if you choose to not save it.
e. Go to step 8.
If your computer has UBmail Powered by Exchange installed and configured with your credentials, the Skype for Business client opens automatically.
Continue to step 8.
The first time you log into Skype for Business, you may encounter an error, "Can't sign in to Skype for Business."
1. Click OK.
2. Change User name to ad\UBITName (where UBITName is your UBITName) and re-enter your UBIT password.
3. Click Sign in.
4. It is recommneded to change one of your preferences. Click the Gear Wheel.
5. Click Personal.
6. Uncheck Automatically Start app box.
7. Click Ok.
No, currently there is no way in Skype for Business for people to change their profile picture. The option is disabled at UB.