Operating System: Macintosh OS X
Applies To: UB faculty, staff and students
Last Updated: April 21, 2017
If you have Office 2016 from UB, you may already have Skype for Business 2016 for Mac. You can check:
Skype for Business 2016 for Mac is available for download from UB for UB faculty, staff, and students. Please make sure you have the ability to install an application on your computer. Contact your department IT support, if necessary.
1. To remove the Lync icon from your Dock, sign out of
2. Close the Lync sign in page.
3. Press Control and click the Lync icon a the same time. Choose Quit.
4. Open Finder > Applications. Scroll to Microsoft Lync. Drag and drop Microsoft Lync into the Trash.
To remove all Lync files from your Mac, see How to perform a clean uninstall of Lync for Mac 2011.
Skype for Business 2016 for Mac is available for download from
UB for UB faculty, staff, and students. Please make sure you have
the ability to install an application on your computer. Contact
your department IT support, if necessary.
Skype for Business 2016 Mac requires Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan) or Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra) Outlook Mac build 15.27 (161010) required for Outlook integration. See more about the requirements.
1. After downloading Skype for Business 2016 for Mac,
double-click the Skype for Business installer.
2. Click Continue to begin the installation.
3. Click Continue to accept the Microsoft Software
4. Click Agree to continue installing the software.
5. Click Install to continue the recommended default
installation and wait for the installation to complete.
6. Type your password to allow this software to be
7. The Installer will display that it is Preparing for
8. The Installer will display that it is Running package
9. The Installer will display The installation was successful. Click Close.
10. Go to Finder and launch Skype for Business from the application list.
1. Enter your UB credentials:
2. Click Sign In.
3. The first time you sign in, you will get an error message,
"Skype for Business was unable to sign in..."
4. Change User ID to ad\UBITName (where UBITName is your
UBITName) and re-enter your UBIT password.
5. Click Sign in.
No, currently there is no way in Skype for Business for people to change their profile picture. The option is disabled at UB.