Requesting a Different UBITName
Operating System: All
Applies To: UB students, faculty and staff
Last Updated: January 18, 2018
Learn how to request a different UBITName.
Who Is Eligible
You are eligible to receive a different UBITName if any of these
- You legally changed your name, and it has been processed by the
appropriate UB administrative office and updated in the University Online
- You can choose to use a name other than your legal name and
note there are some areas where a legal name is mandatory.
- The automatically created UBITName is agreed to be obscene or
- You are newly appointed faculty or staff and the automatically
created UBITName differs from your identity at a former institution
or professional field, or is confusing to others.
See the UBITName Account Policy for more details about
who may request a different UBITName.
Step 1: Request a Different UBITName
- The reason you are requesting a different UBITName
- The UBITName you would like:
- 2-8 characters in length
- Cannot contain special characters (such as * or - or _)
- Cannot begin with a numeric character
Step 2: Activate Your New UBITName
If your request is approved, activate your UBITName and
begin using it.
Step 3: Transition to Your New UBITName
Both your old and new UBITName will remain active for up to 30
days. During that time you must:
- Arrange for departmental changes
- Students: Notify your professors and department that
your UBITName has changed
- Faculty and Staff: Notify your departmental
IT Staff that you are changing your UBITName.
- Copy email messages, contacts and files from your old UBITName
email mailbox, UBbox and UBfs space to your new UBITName email
mailbox, UBbox and UBfs space. The old UBITName mailbox, UBbox and
UBfs space will be deleted when your new UBITName is made
- Share your new email address with others.
- If you have access to HUB, log into HUB with your new UBITName
after one business day to be sure you retain access under your new
Step 4: Make Your New UBITName Permanent
Send email to the UBIT Help Center from your new UBITName
asking to remove your old UBITName and make your new
Once your request is processed, your old UBITName will be
deleted and its remaining contents will no longer be accessible.
Email sent to it will be returned to the sender as
If you do not request to make your new UBITName permanent within
30 days of it being created, your new UBITName may be deactivated.
Contact the UBIT Help Center if you
need additional time to transition to your new
How do I change my name or information in the Online Directory?
Your UBITName and entry in the UB
Online Directory are based on institutional data. If you had an
offical name change, students should contact the Office
of the Registrar and faculty/staff contact UB
Human Resources. The UB
Online Directory does not currently allow for the use of a
I have UBmail Powered by Google. How can I have the name that appears on my email changed?
Contact the the Office
of the Registrar to change your name legally or HUB for a
preferred name. If you have changed your name legally, UBmail
Powered by Google will update automatically once the change has
been processed by the Registrar's office. If you have chosen a
preferred name, you must update your Send Mail As setting in Gmail.