Symantec Encryption Desktop Installation Instructions
Learn how to install Symantec Encryption Desktop software,
including setup of PGP keys
Installing Symantec Encryption Desktop Software
1. Run the 32bit or 64bit installer, as appropriate
for your operating system. Click I accept the license
agreement and then click Next.
2. Select Do not display the Release Notes, then
3. Allow the progress bar to complete.
4. Click Yes to Reboot and complete the
5. Once the PC is rebooted and the person signs back on,
you will be prompted with the authentication box. If not, select
PGP Tray from the Start menu. Have the person enter
their UBITName and password.
Note: The person must be added to a PGP group. Email Jason Loretz with the
UBITName to be added to a group:
- pgp_wde (Whole Disk Encryption only) or
- pgp_wdens (Whole Disk Encryption and NetShare)
6. The enrollment process may take a minute or
7. Select I am a new user and click
8. Click Finish when done. You should see a new
icon in your icon tray.
Configuring a New User
My Documents\PGP is the default location for the
placement of the keys. Symantec Encryption Desktop works best when
the keys are on the local hard drive. If the My Documents folder is
redirected to a network location, you should move the keys to a
more appropriate location.
1. Right click on the icon and choose Open Symantec
2. You may need to click on PGP Keys on the left
hand side of the window. You will then see the key for the
authenticated user and the Organization Key.
3. Select Keys in the menu bar at the top, then
click Keyring Properties.
4. A new window opens. Click the ... button located
next to the Public keyring file location.
5. Right-click on the pubring file, then click
6. Browse to C:\users\[ubitname]\appdata\roaming\PGP
Corporation\. Create a new folder called KEYS. Open the
7. Right-click and select Paste within the KEYS
8. Select the file pubring. Click
9. You will return to the PGP Keyring Properties window. Click
the ... button next to the Private keyring file
10. Right-click on the secring file, then select
11. Browse to C:\users\[ubitname]\appdata\roaming\PGP
Corporation\KEYS\. Right click Paste.
12. Select the file secring. Click Open.
14. If you will be adding other keys, continue to step 15.
Otherwise, skip to Encrypt Local Hard Drive.
15. To add more keys, select Search for Keys.. Select
KSRV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU. To search for a partial match, search
Name contains instead of the default Name is. Also,
searches are no longer case sensitive. To see a list of all keys,
search Name does not contain and a string of text not likely
to be found. Right-click the key you want to use and select Add
to > All keys.
16. Repeat as necessary. When finished, proceed to Encrypt Local Hard Drive.