Once Symantec Encryption Desktop is installed, Symantec Drive
Encription PGP Whole Disk Encryption can be used to protect an
entire disk, or selected partitions of a disk.
1. Open Symantec Desktop Encryption program from the start
menu. You can also double click the Symantec Encryption Desktop
icon in the system tray.
2. Select PGP Disk and Encrypt Disk or
3. Select the drive and then click New Passphrase
4. Choose Use Windows Password and click
5. Select Proceed with passphrase authentication
only and click Next.
6. Have the main computer’s user enter their
UBITName and password. If desired, select Enable Windows
SSO. This will automatically sign that user on as soon as
the computer boots.
7. Click Next and you will be taken back to the
Encrypt Disk or Partition screen.
8. Select Maximum CPU Usage and Power Failure
Safety as appropriate for your environment and then click
- If the user will be using the machine during the encryption, do
NOT select “maximum CPU usage."
- If the machine does not have a battery (i.e. desktop) select
“power failure safety.”
9. Click “Encrypt.” You will have one last
confirmation box, click Yes to begin the encryption.
10. Once the encryption finishes, restart to ensure the
encryption and passphrases work as expected.