A Computing Site Consultant provides general customer service to
patrons of public Computing Sites, including printing and computing
support. We accept new applications on a continual basis during the
academic year. You will be contacted in the order your application
was received about the next steps.
Please read carefully. We believe that reading and
following instructions is an important skill for Public Site
Consultants at UB.
If we offer you a position, you must:
- Attend mandatory job training
- Be a registered student
- Not work anywhere else at UB while employed by us,
including but not limited to a position as a TA, GA, Research
Assistant, FSA position or any other position at UB
- Be available to work for two semesters after the current one
(not including summers) from the first day of classes through
the last day of finals. This is addition to working the current
semester until the last day of finals.
The Public Sites Consultant:
- Sorts and racks printouts.
- Provides customer service to patrons about printing and other
computing and application issues, particularly those involving
Microsoft Office products.
- Maintains the printing service within service levels, including
maintaining printers and escalating problems, to ensure quick and
accurate service to patrons.
- Inventories and maintains site supplies within specified
- Troubleshoots workstation problems and corrects or reports and
escalates them as needed.
- Maintains order, safety and security within the site,
escalating issues appropriately.
Applying for a consultant position is a competitive process.
Selection is based on your technical skills and on your ability to
deliver service to customers effectively. The process from
application and testing to completion of paperwork and training can
take up to 3 months.
There are 3 parts to the selection process:
- The process includes a 2-hour computing skills test. If
your are selected to test, you will be contacted about scheduling
- CIT will contact all applicants by email to their buffalo.edu.
accounts in the order received as testing sessions open up. We
often have many more applicants than we can test.
- Testing is scheduled weekday evenings.
- The test is an online, closed book, hands-on simulation.
- You have a maximum of two hours to complete the test.
- The test focuses on completing common and less common tasks in
Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and
- If you are unable to keep your test appointment, send email to
the Public Sites Recruitment Team.
- Bring your UB Card for identification purposes.
- Personal Interview:
- Qualified applicants will be offered a personal interview based
on their test results.
- Interviews are given by appointment weekdays.
- If you are selected for an interview, we will notify you by
email about the date, time and location.
- Interview appointments will be based on the schedules
that you provide to us at your testing appointment.
- Hiring Decision:
- All applicants will be notified about the outcome of the
selection process on a continual basis soon after their personal
- Those applicants hired will then be scheduled for training and
a start date will be set.
If you have questions about the procedure, send email to the public sites management team at email@example.com.
I have read and understand the hiring process. Click Apply
Now (below), log in and complete the application.