Alternative Winter Break: Louisiana Wetlands 2014

Organized through the Office of Student Engagement, alternative break programs engage students in experiential learning through community service and volunteerism during their fall (Thanksgiving), winter or spring break. The projects the students participate with address issues such as poverty, homelessness, hunger, literacy, HIV/AIDS, education and the environment.

The objective of the Alternative Breaks program is to involve students in service projects to learn about the problems of a community they would typically not know about. The goal is for students to take the intensity of the program/experience and transfer the lessons learned to their own community upon their return. We hope students learn how they can become agents of change, make a difference in their community and lead a life of active citizenship.

2014 Alternative Winter Break: Louisiana Wetlands

On January 4th, 2014, a team of UB students and staff traveled to the Louisiana wetlands to discover the beauty of the bayou and the rich and vibrant culture of those that call it home. We learned about the cultural and ecological history of southern Louisiana and completing community service projects that will increase the long term sustainability of this important region. 

January 4th, 2014

We started our trip by arriving at the airport by 5:30 am.  Upon arriving we soon discovered our flight had been delayed.  At first, four hours didn't seem too bad.  We boarded the plane with high expectations that were unable to be met that day. 

Our connecting flight was cancelled and we got in line to talk to an airline representative.  We ended up at the end of the line and witnessed other customers with poor attitudes giving the representative a hard time.  Our trip leaders decided to approach the representative with kindness. 

One of our trip student leaders wanted us to see the Light Tunnel in the Chicago O'Hare Airport.  We had an amazing race type competition and had fun racing through the airport.  We also had fun killing time counting people running to flights. 

When our third flight out of Chicago was cancelled, the representative we met earlier was so kind to give us vouchers for food and shelter.  We then travelled to the hotel after some shuttle bus shenanigans. We met a wonderful waitress named LuAnn who provided excellent service for our voucher dinner after being exhausted from the airport.  We stayed in hotel rooms with people we just met that day.  By the end of the night we felt like we had began developing meaningful friendships that would soon blossom.  We fell asleep with the hope of boarding an afternoon flight the next day and beginning our experience in Louisiana.

January 5th, 2014

On Sunday, January 5th we started our morning with hopes of departing on an early morning flight. Unfortunately, our dream faded quickly when we found out our flight was cancelled for the 4th time. Though we were a little disappointed we kept our hopes up for another flight at 9:30 pm. Despite the unfortunate events we still remained as optimistic as we could. The thing that made it easy to stay positive was the people in the group, especially our trip leaders who were more than determined to make things happen. The whole group seemed to get along really well and the day was filled with laughs. As our next flight got closer, the weather seemed to be getting worse. We accepted that the flight would probably be cancelled and it was. After returning to the hotel, we decided to relax as a group. We ordered some pizza and piled into one room for a movie. We continued our bonding and prepared for the next day with hopeful spirits, reminding ourselves to be thankful that our situation was not as bad as it could have been. We had a safe place to stay, food to eat and each others good company to keep us going.

January 6th, 2014

On Monday, we were hopeful of a flight leaving the Arctic Circle (aka Chicago) so we went to the airport early to possibly catch one. After a few hours waiting in the airport, it was apparent we were not going to be leaving. While we were stranded in a corner of the airport without outlets, we entertained ourselves by playing games. Since we had spent all of Saturday and Sunday stranded at airports and hotel rooms thanks to the vortex, we decided to spend some time in Chicago--we were excited to roam out into the subarctic weather... negative 39 with windchill! We booked rooms at a hotel nearby where we continued our search for adventure. We finally agreed on The Art Institute of Chicago. The hotel manager offered to pay for our taxi to the train station. We got to pretend  we were real Chicagoans riding the Blue Line of the CTA. There were heat lamps by the stations that all 15 of us tried crowding around. The man next to us had icicles on his lashes! We piled onto the train. We were surprised by how quiet the ride was, quiet after we all stopped laughing that is. Victoria warned us 6 stop ahead of ours that we were getting off, she was not ready to lose any of us! Our ascent from the train station was a brutal awakening to the cold. The run across the road into our lunch spot was enough to make us shiver down to the bone. While the walk to the museum was only 3 street blocks, it was the longest walk of our lives. We broke off into groups with a binding promise to meet back at a certain time. We ran through the museum trying to find famous works such as "A  Sunday on La Grande Jatte", Dega's "Ballet Dancers," Monet's "Water Lilies," Van Gogh's "Self Portrait," "American Gothic," El Greco's work and the most intriguing exhibit, were the miniature rooms. When were were done and our legs were ready to fall off we headed back to our hotel. We all agreed that the restaurant attached to our hotel would be the easiest solution. We made a heart warming video to our friends back in Buffalo who were about to be hit by the snow and called it a night. 

January 7th, 2014

A New Hope

This morning we felt great hope and morale slowly regrow in each of us as we ate our complimentary breakfast. As usual the hospitality of the Best Western hotel was incredible. The team leaders, Tori and Varun, delegated tasks to 4 teams. Each team had to research volunteering opportunities. We found the food dispensary of greater Chicago as well as ravens wood community service. The first had no space and it was too last minute. The second did not call us back in time. We reconvened in the conference room at 11am to discuss the options. Jim brought up the idea of helping at the homeless shelter called Pacific Gardens Mission. Everyone agreed it as the best chance we had to doing service. We left for the Pacific Gardens Mission at noon, with a new hope and motivation to make the best of what we had. Our grit and determination seemed to have had some impact on the weather as well as it was relatively warmer than the previous days. That is not to say that it was not cold because if Santa had to travel, he would still have to jumpstart a reindeer!

After a 50 minute train ride, Mr. Otis, one of the members of the mission, was kind enough to offer us a ride to our final destination. At the mission, we met Mr. Casey, who warmly welcomed us and provided us with soup and sandwich. Post lunch, we were divided into 2 groups and were delegated certain tasks. The former made beds while the latter set up the dinner service. With our assistance, the tasks were accomplished rather swiftly and subsequently Mr. Casey offered to give us a tour of the facilities. The mission had an annual budget of 6 million dollars which came in the form of donations. The LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Silver building had the capacity to house upto 1,200 people in need at a time. It had solar panels, a greenhouse and made use of resources that came from recycled materials in order to reduce environmental footprint. The place was very well structured, organized and it provided with the best of facilities to everyone irrespective of age, gender, race or religion. One of our group members said that the place reminded him of people who helped him during his time of need and brought a smile to his face. He was thankful that the mission provided him the opportunity to assist others and reciprocate that feeling to others. After the tour, we were once again divided into two groups to serve food to the people. We had two assembly lines to ensure that the food was served in a timely manner. The entire process was carried out efficiently.

Later that evening, Mr. Otis had the courtesy to transport us back to the Clinton station in Chicago so that we could board the train and return to the hotel. This encounter with our first service project gave us great hope and anticipation for what lay ahead. The service experience was a remarkable one as it was the very first of opportunities for many of us to work in a homeless shelter, thus leaving us with an urge to self-introspect and a dream to make this world a better place to live in. 

January 8th, 2014

On Wednesday, we started off the day by getting up early, anxiously preparing for a cancellation or delay in our tenth scheduled flight to New Orleans. After checking the American Airlines app on all of our iPhones twice, karma worked in our favor and our 8:10AM flight was on time!! Hallelujah! We made our way to the airport, through security, and to our gate in good spirits!  

 The flight to New Orleans was absolutely breathtaking. You could see all the wetlands that extended throughout the coast- a truly amazing sight that made all of us excited to land and get to work! Once we landed we roamed through the airport in awe of the warm weather and sunshine. We piled into 2 cars and started our journey to the Nicholls State University farm in the Bayou to finally see Saina, who had been waiting for us in Louisiana until now. Upon arriving on the farm we ate a filling lunch and headed outside to start working. We split into two groups; one group was set to help organize different plant species while the other cleaned pots to ensure that bacteria did not grow. By the end of this day we were really beginning to see the progress and importance of the work we were doing in the Bayou.  That night we stayed at the Bayou Grace Community Center where we all slept soundly on cots from our first day of service. 

January 9th, 2014

O Christmas Tree!

Our first full day of service began by waking up at 6 am.  With prior knowledge of this project we knew we were getting into a long day of rewarding work.  The project we worked on involved taking recycled Christmas trees that were donated to the Lafourche parish (the Louisiana equivalent of a county) and using them to prevent erosion in the intra-coastal waterway (ICW).   We started this project by loading Christmas Trees into three speedboats.  Once the Christmas trees were loaded into the boats, we travelled through the Bayou channels to the ICW.  Once in the ICW we loaded the trees into wooden cribs that BTNEP had built to hold the Christmas trees in place.  Once the cribs were completely filled, they were able to block erosion and increase accretion, and therefore build up the shoreline.  Erosion in the ICW occurs at accelerated rates due to a high volume of boat activity since the ICW runs from Texas to Florida.  While we were on boats we even witnessed large barges changing the water level.  At the end of the day we learned that we moved approximately 1500 Christmas trees to help prevent erosion!   

To enrich our Louisiana experience, we decided to try King Cake, a Louisiana tradition.  Inside every King Cake there is a plastic baby and whoever has the baby in their piece is said to have prosperity.  In our group, Amanda and Rachael will prosper! It was delicieux!

 We were lucky to have a beautiful day full of southern sunshine and a clear sky.  The wonderful thing about this project was that while we worked we got to view beautiful scenery and wildlife.  We saw bald eagles, herons, egrets, gallinules and more.  These birds were among trees decorated with Spanish Moss and the water was sprinkled with water hyacinth and water cabbage.  The BTNEP representatives our group worked with; Joe, Matt and Nick, who were all very knowledgeable, and able to educate us on the wildlife of the Bayou. They were very interesting to talk to and made our experience both fun and educational.  Many of us were amazed and inspired that they would choose this career.  The work was hard manual labor but also very rewarding and very important. At the end of the day we learned that we moved approximately 1500 Christmas trees to help preserve the coastline!

January 10th, 2014

A New Beginning 

The service project of the day was at Nicholls State University Farm. We left the Community Center at 8:30am and were eager to help Joe and Matt as much as possible. When we arrived, our group was split into 3 service teams. One group helped Matt build a shade house extension, another pulled weeds out of various plant pots and the last continued to clean the pots for future plants. Everyone pulled their weight and worked together to complete the tasks in a timely manner. After a long day of work Matt and Joe graciously offered to give us a tour of the university farm. Everyone climbed onto an open trailer hitched to a pickup truck, and we were given an educational and enlightening tour. The farm contained many species of grass grown in the fields that had intricate root systems resistant to erosional processes.  As the tour came to an end, Joe gave all of us a BTNEP T-shirt and a cap for our volunteer work throughout the week.

We then returned to the Community Center for a community dinner. Gumbo, potato salad and desserts were served with the help of the UB students. The dinner included a community meeting with Deepwater horizon employees and Bayou Grace community members developing a master plan that will help repair the damages from the BP oil spill. The proposal consisted of many ecological restoration projects that would help to restore the coast, barrier islands, and wellbeing of sea animals. The director of interior, a councilwoman and a local woman led the discussion and informational meeting. This discussion gave us perspective of how drastically Bayou communities were affected by the oil spill, and how they are coming together to solve the environmental issues the spill created.

As the meeting ended everyone helped clean up and went to get ready for some Cajun dancing! We drove over to the Jolly Inn where we met Ms. Mary, our gracious community center host.  We were also later joined by Joe, our BTNEP volunteer work coordinator.  At the Jolly Inn there was a live band playing Cajun music while locals flooded the dance floor enjoying the music. There were also washboards vests that could be used as instrument to compliment upbeat rhythms. We all participated in both line dances and partner dances, and enjoyed spending time with the local community.  After an exciting night, we stopped to get some King Cake ice cream to treat ourselves.

 Today showed all of us what can happen when people stays positive. The people of the Louisiana Bayou have such a rich, vibrant and friendly culture, that differs from our way of life in New York.  Even in times of struggle and rebuilding, these communities still hold a positive attitude, which was very inspiring for all of us to see.

January 11th, 2014

Saturday was our day to explore the French Quarter in the city of New Orleans. The night before we packed and planned out the day so that we would have enough time to go to New Orleans before our flight back to Buffalo. We woke up at 4am with plans to clean up the community center and be on our way out by 5am. After a two-hour drive out of the Bayou, we had finally made it to the French Quarter around 7am. We quickly grabbed beignets from Cafe Du Monde and even though it was too early for a lot of the stores to be open we couldn't wait to explore. We were all excited to see the city and wanted to cover as much ground as possible. There was a ton of interesting art and street performances to see as we roamed the streets.  As the morning progressed more stores and restaurants also opened up. Some groups made their way to the Mississippi River, while others were able to try alligator, gumbo and jambalaya.  When the time came to say our goodbyes to New Orleans we made our way to the airport, thankful for the experience. 

2013 Alternative Winter Break: Louisiana Wetlands

On January 5th, 2013, 16 UB students headed to the Louisiana wetlands to discover the beauty of the bayou and the rich and vibrant culture of those that call it home. We will be learning about the cultural and ecological history of southern Louisiana and completing community service projects that will increase the long term sustainability of this important region. 



January 5th, 2013

Today we traveled from cold and snowy Buffalo to New Orleans. Everything went smoothly as we traveled down the bayou to our home away from home at Bayou Grace Community Services in Chauvin. We arrived just in time to get a tour of the rec center and travel about a mile down the road to Piggly Wiggly to shop for our food for the week. After a hearty pasta meal, we turned in for the night.

January 6th, 2013

Visit Living with Hurricanes: Katrina and Beyond and explore the culture of New Orleans. Blog post coming soon!

January 7th, 2013

"Today I saw a dolphin."

Rise and shine, 6:30 A.M, it was vital to get on the road early in order to start our busy day.  We got in the vans around 7:30 A.M. and drove to LUMCON, short for Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium.

Soon upon arrival, we boarded our vessel, the Arcadia, and were off on an adventure into the unknown. Despite the cold weather and wind, the sun rising was a nice view and also kept us warm. We rode for a while, watching the water and were surprised with dolphins at one point swam alongside the boat with us. From then on, Captain Carl took us on a tour of the surrounding wetlands. About an hour or so into the ride, Captain Carl cast a net out behind the boat and we trolled for whatever we could get. We pulled the net up about a half hour later to find a variety of shrimp, fish and organic material. We were surprised to find squid, crab, and puffer fish that were especially neat and probably our favorites. It turns out the flock of seagulls that had been following the boat were not only interested in our catch, but in the small fish and shrimp that the motor churned up as well. We spent a while listening to Michelle, an educator at LUMCON, tell us about what we pulled up and helped her sort the shrimp from the organic material. We turned around at this point and headed back to shore. Once back at LUMCON, Michelle took us on a tour of the facility. We saw some labs, as well as a really interesting library of assorted vertebrates and invertebrates. There was also a room where algae are grown in order to feed fish that were being studied.

Next was lunch. Gumbo today! Some adorable lunch ladies treated us to their homemade gumbo, potato salad, and cake. The food here has been amazing. When we were all sufficiently in food comas, we moved onto a presentation by Diane. She discussed the history of the wetlands and gave us some insight into the work we would be doing in the coming days. It was helpful to hear some scientific reasoning behind the land loss that Louisiana has been suffering from and how we were going to help it. We found that we will be involved in restoring natural marshes that will serve as barriers to future storms.

After the presentation, we thanked the members of LUMCON for an educational and fun day on the water and headed out to the Kenny Hill Sculpture Garden. That was a particularly neat piece of Louisiana culture that we were able to see. Mr. Hill used an assortment of rebar and wire covered in concrete to form his sculptures. The theme was an abstract mix of religion and self-portraits. Despite Mr. Hill leaving Louisiana, the Kohler Foundation and Nicholls State University have bought the property and continue to maintain it. It was awesome to think that despite all of the hurricanes, the statues remain nearly all intact.

From there, we drove out to Isle of Jean Charles. This was once home to 300 Native American families and has since dwindled to less than 30 due to land loss and the island being outside the state’s levee protection system. We went inside a small marina for snacks and to relax on the back deck, enjoying the view of the bay. After a short visit, we switched up cars and made the drive back to the community center.

We are here now, waiting for the gentlemen on bicycles to return from Piggly Wiggly with groceries. Tonight is breakfast for dinner!

John Maher

Kristen Janson 

January 8th, 2013

“Vegetating the ridge”

We slowly awoke and got up at around 6:30.  We had a quick breakfast and prepared sandwiches with the help of Bayou Grace.  We slowly made our way to the vans to fall asleep in the vans once again for about an hour.  When we woke up, we were at the marina to start our day.  Captain Joe and Matt  from Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program (BTNEP) took a group of seven of us to the ridge to start the work. The boat ride was exciting and slightly windy. Joe told us that we may see some dolphins which we all hoped but said that shark were just a common in which were frightened for a bit. We traveled to the Fourchon Ridge to plant vegetation to help prevent erosion of the sand.  Matt went through the process of planting while Joe went back to get the next crew of people.  By the time the entire group had reached the ridge a great deal of work had already been done. Matt gave a detailed explanation to us that the ridge we were on at one point in time had not existed. It had been created by a partnership with conservation organizations and the Port of Fourchon. It did however help prevent damage to ridges more inland.

Each team had specific jobs in the project that in the end, accomplished the goal in a timely fashion.  In addition to our own project, we laid the groundwork for a future project for BTNEP's work.  Rushing towards the end, due to change in the beautiful southern weather, we ended up planting about 1000 plants in total.  On the way back to the boat, we had the task of trying to push the quad out of the mud that it was stuck in.  Once we finally freed the vehicle, we proceeded to the boat without problem. We loaded everything carefully and made sure that everything was well placed. We had precious cargo on the boat which was our lunches and snacks. Joe took the first crew, back to the dock to have lunch with the birds.  By the end of the meal, the pelicans that dined with us had about as much of our food as we did. 

Once we finished lunch, we loaded all of the gear into the trailer from BTNEP and Joe handed out t-shirts.  We took a group picture with the banners from both BTNEP and Bayou Grace.  Slightly drenched from wading in the water, we made our way back into the vans to continue our naps.  Once again, we woke up in a different place but it was only Bayou Grace.  We all piled out of the vans to shower and change into warm, dry clothes.  Then we hung out for a while and then got ready to head to dinner.  We went to Big Al’s for dinner to try things such as crawfish, oysters, frog legs, alligator and crab.  After a delicious meal, we celebrated John’s birthday with a slice of cake and candle for him.  We climbed back into the vans to head back for the night. 

While heading back to Bayou Grace we enjoyed many different genres of music in which we all tried to sing along even if we did not know all the words. Once we reached Bayou Grace we ran in, dodging the rain. We enjoyed more King Cake ice cream while watching the movie Beast of the Southern Wild.  This movie was chosen in particular because much of it was staged and shot in an area that we drove through yesterday so we could relate to it. 

After such a successful first day of work we are all excited for tomorrow to what adventures await us next along with continuing our naps in the van.

 Dave Quigley

Melissa Pierre-Louis 

January 9th, 2013

photo at the site of the Christmas tree project. (courtesey of Diane Huhn)

“Cajun Style Cribs”

Today’s project consisted of recycling old Christmas trees in man-made “cribs” along the Intercoastal Waterway. Community member’s participation was through their donation of used Christmas trees, which were then loaded into trucks and hauled to an area of the canal next to the Waterproof Plantation neighborhood. Trees were moved from the enormous piles closer to the bank where all of the UB volunteers assisted in loading the trees onto three boats. Two of the boats were from BTNEP, who we had previously worked with the day before and the third being a volunteer from Terrebonne Parish. We split into teams and maneuvered our ways onto the loaded boats and made our way out to the location of the cribs. Upon arrival at the crib sites, we then placed each tree, one by one, into the containers.

The idea behind this method is to create a barrier from which suspended sediment in the water hits the trees, therefore slowing down and ultimately reducing the loss of sediment further down the waterway. It also acts as a barrier to help break up the wave action from barges, storms, etc.

After breaking for lunch, with pizza and king cake, we quickly piled up the last of the trees and finished the task at hand. Our total tree count for the day was over 250. A great sense of accomplishment was felt from all participants and it was then time for a much needed adventure to break up the day.

With the weather still cooperating we made our way to Bayou Black where we were treated to an experience on the bayou with the “Cajun Man.” The trip consisted of a tour throughout the bayou and privately owned swamp. Cajun man blessed us with some knowledge of the area, as well as an exciting display of authentic Cajun music on his guitar and homemade accordion. He knew the ins and outs of the bayou, even taking time to show us some of the alligator friends he has made over the years. We were greeted by a friendly six-foot alligator named “Mojo” who was looking for a snack. Unfortunately, Cajun man (aka Ron Guidry) didn’t have his usual supply of chicken but still managed to have Mojo put on a brief show. We headed back to the marina, still spotting many eagles, gators and gulls.

With no time to spare, everyone scrambled to get ready for our community dinner. We made our way to Dulac Community Center where we sponsored a dinner event for the members of Terrebone Parish. The community members seemed very grateful that we put the event together. With all of us behind the tables, our preparing began. Everyone moved to the stations, pouring soda, organizing plates, and prepping food. The short opening from one of the head members in community and a blessing, dinner was served. As people finished the meal, a researcher from LUMCON gave a short presentation regarding some current research on the post BP oil spill catastrophe that occurred a couple years back. Members of the community did not seem to have much interest in asking questions following his presentation, rather they were concerned with where their money was and what was going to happen.  He said his “thank you” and the dinner was over. We all worked together to dissemble the tables and chairs that had been set up. A few more group shots of us all in are new Bayou Grace Volunteer T-Shirts were taken, and it was back to the Rec Center. After a fun-filled day, all that was left to do was a brief reflection, which everyone seems to find amusing and settled in for the night.

               Jeremy Pike

               Ali Grippo

January 10th, 2013

“72 degrees with a chance of Tornado”

Today’s scheduled project was changed due to the weather forecast. We began to receive heavy rainfall early this morning which would eventually land us in a barn at Nicholls State University.

Our task was to split thousands of grass plants in half in order to transplant them out in the bayou. We began leveling soil out in the small planters and then moved the grass samples into their individual pots. Using this method we were able to effectively double the number of plants that we began with. These plants will be used by BTNEP in the upcoming months to protect various marsh lands throughout the area.

Each student had the opportunity to play a different role in the process. After planting for the better part of 5 hours, we decided to take lunch in the farm’s sugar hut. We then moved the plants to their new home in an outdoor cultivation sight. Then we busted open the hoses and washed the mud off that had been joining us throughout the day.

We came back to the community center after an exhausting day of work. We spent some time relaxing, many of us napping, when we were awoken by a surprise. Liz and Jim had decided to take us to the mythical Sonic, for good food. The staff of Sonic didn’t know what to do with our group of 18! On our ride home we had another surprise when we stopped at the Dollar General. Our goal, to pick out an item under 5 dollars that represented our time here in the wetlands.

We concluded the night with some discussion and an arts and crafts period. We had to create “Warm and Fuzzies” for each of the group members. These were compliments and memories we shared with each individual group member. We then had to drop our notes into each members designated bag to be opened after the trip is over. The group ended the night by making signs for a Bayou Grace campaign. They represented our reasoning for saving the Louisiana coastline. We are going to take pictures with our cards tomorrow for the Bayou Grace website.

Kevin Cherbow

Jacob Clyde

January 11th, 2013

Today was a very busy day, and we woke up to heavy rain. We were afraid that we wouldn’t be able to do the work we were supposed to do as we had originally planned to work on water. When we got to the banks, we had to take 2 boats to get to our staging area on Lake Fields. Once we were there, Matt and Joe told us all about cut grass and how their roots were great for keeping and holding soil together.

Because of the rain, the surrounding water level of the lake was almost the same as that of the campsite, and parts of it were slightly flooded.  Jim actually got his shoes very wet because he underestimated the water’s height. The rain also hindered the amount of harvesting done on land because it was dangerous to stand on the banks, and we could have fallen in!

We then split into 2 groups—one group stayed at the campsite to harvest the cut grass that was growing there (carefully). The other group got onto the boats to pick up cut grass along the river that was free floating. We had to then bring the cut grass to a tub, so that they can grow before being planted at a later date.

The task required us to plunge our hands in the water to grab the floating plants and their roots.  We were initially hesitant as we weren’t sure if all the alligators were indeed hibernating. Emily was afraid she might fall in, because who knew what the murky water held. We also got slapped in the face by the long pieces of grass. Cut grass, like its name, cuts skin really easily, especially when one slides his/her finger along the blade of the plant. The cuts are worse than paper cuts. So you can imagine how we could look like now if our reflexes were not quick enough. Liz on the other hand got plenty of abrasion marks on her wrists.

After round one, the land and boat groups then rotated positions. As the land group did a very good job of harvesting as much cut grass as that campsite had, the original boat group was left with nothing much to do. So they played fun team bonding games to pass the time. We played games such as Ninja and finger counting.

When the other group got back, we took the boats back to the dock. There we broke for lunch, and we took pictures of all of us holding up hand-made placards saying why the wetlands should be saved. This is so we may spread the word to others about how important it is to preserve coastal Louisiana.

The rec center was our next stop. We got ready for dinner and for some Cajun dancing!

Dinner was at 1921 Seafood, which was great! The only letdown was that we could not sit as a whole team and had to be split up into different tables. The food was amazingly delicious though, so we didn’t really mind.

When we were done eating, we walked right to the Jolly Inn for some good ole fashion Cajun Dancing. When we first got there it was a little slow but things picked up quick. So many people were dancing with the washboards and making a lot of noise. Looking around, it was great to see that everyone looked so happy. The old guys were so cute when they tried to teach us how to do all of the dances. When we were done at the Jolly Inn we had a surprise stop at an ice cream parlor. We got three quarts of ice cream, plus the king cake ice cream that we already had! After this stop we headed home to eat the ice cream and to begin packing up and cleaning.

Although everyone was rather tired from our long day, we had a final group reflection because it was our last night in Louisiana. Our overall experience with this trip was positive because everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves. We have learned so much about Louisiana and believe we had an impact on the future of THE CAJUNS!!!!!!! 

Rachel & Emily

January 12th, 2013

Travel back to Buffalo!


2012 Wetlands Trip