Throughout the year, the Romanell Center hosts speakers,
lectures, conferences, debates, and other events. Our events are
free and open to the public.
Romanell Center Spring 2018 Workshop
Feb 17 Saturday Afternoon
Park Hall 141, UB North Campus
12:00-1:00 David Limbaugh (UB).
Western New York Philosophical Hall of Fame Inductee
Paper Title: “Potential, Degrees, and Patrick Lee: The
powers of the fetus and the powers of me”
1:15-2:15 Rose Hershenov (Niagara University) and Derek Doroski
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" Fission and Fusion Lecture.
Paper Title: “Twin Inc.”
2:30-3:30 Rob Kelly (UB).
The Betty Ford Recovery Lecture.
Paper Title: "The Systematic Loss of Control in Addiction: Beyond
Disease and Choice"
3:45-4:45 Shane Hemmer (UB)
I Should Have Written a Dissertation in Bioethics
Paper Title: "Conscientious Objection and the Internal Morality of
5:00-6:00 David Hershenov (UB)
The Dewey-Like Lecture
Paper Title: “Three Mistakes about Personal Identity and Harm
March 10, Saturday Afternoon
Park Hall 141, UB North Campus
12:00-1:00 Yuichi Minemura (UB)
The Romanell Lecture
“The Transplant Intuition and Animalism”.
1:15-2:15 Harvey Berman (UB Med School)
People’s Choice Award Lecture.
2:30-3:30 Neil Feit (SUNY Fredonia) or John Lizza (Kutztown) or
Jack Freer (UB Med School)
Lecture Title TBA
Talk Title TBA
3:45-4:45 Peter Koch (Villanova)
"I Can't Let Go Of Grad School" Dissertation Re-Defense Talks
“Capabilities and the Welfare of Patients with Disorders of
5:00-6:00 Barry Smith (UB)
NCOR Workshop on Defining “Capability”
Paper Title TBA
Romanell Center Fall 2017 Workshop
Saturday, November 18, 2017
Park Hall 141 (Seminar Room)
UB North Campus
12:30-1:30pm Governor’s Lecture: Steve Kershnar
“Desert and Organ Transplantation: Should Addicts,
Criminals, or Welfare Recipients go the End of the Line?
1:45-2:45pm Derek Parfit Memorial Lecture: David Hershenov
(University at Buffalo)
“Are Psychological Accounts of Personal Identity Compatible
with the Whole Brain Death Criterion?”
3:00-4:00pm Regents Lecture: Jake Monaghan (University at
“Informational Obligations and Consent”
4:15-5:15pm The Phil Reed Friends Lecture: James Delaney
“Causing/Removing Disability and
Romanell Third Tuesday Lecture Series
Join us for a series of lectures and workshops by colleagues and
other distinguished speakers. Generally, the lectures are held on
the third Tuesday of each month during the fall and spring
All Lectures: Tuesday, Noon, CTRC, Room
5019, UB Downtown Campus
- 11/21/2017 David Limbaugh, UB, "The Harm of Disorder
as Harm in the Damage Sense"
- 12/19/2017 Tim Madigan, St. John Fisher College,
Rochester, “Patrick Romanell: Pioneer in Medical
- 1/16/2018 Stephen Kershnar, Fredonia, "On what basis
should medical schools admit students?"
- 2/20/2018 Harvey Berman, UB
- 3/20/2018 Phil Reed, Canisius, “Opioids
and Double Effect at the End of Life”
- 4/17/2018 Peter Koch, Villanova
- 5/15/2018 tba
- 6/19/2018 tba
Debate: Drs. John Keller and Stephen Kershnar debate the moral status of abortion
November 7, 2017 at 7:00pm, in Science Center
105, SUNY Fredonia
Romanell Conference, July 28 & 29, 2017
Media Coverage of the 2017 Romanell Conference
2017-2018 Romanell Working Committees/Reading Groups Schedule
Note: Committees meet the third Tuesday of each month.
- June 20, 2017, Ontology of Medicine Reading group. David
Hershenov paper choice, Kingma’s “Naturalism about
Health and Disease: Adding Nuance for Progress”, and David
Limbaugh’s “Harm in the Damage Sense: The Concept of
‘Harm’ in the Concept of Mental Disorder”.
- July 22, 2017, Romanell Conference keynote papers by
Schechtman, Marquis and Lizza on personal identity and our
- September 19, 2017, Health, Harm and Well-Being reading group.
Jim Delaney paper choice, "Harm and the Boundaries of
Disease” by McGivern and Sorial.
- October 17, 2017, End of Life Issues Reading group.
Neil Feit choice “The Time of Death’s Badness” by
- November 21, 2017, Clinical Ethics Reading Group. Harvey Berman
paper choice, tba.
- December 19, 2017, Creation and Enhancement Reading group. Rose
Hershenov paper choice, tba.
- January 16, 2018, Ontology of Medicine Reading Group. John
Keller paper choice, Peter Graham selections from George
Graham’s An Introduction to Philosophy of Mind and Mental
- February 20, 2018, Autonomy, Addiction and Accountability
Reading Group, Rob Kelly paper choice, “Addiction and the
Concept of Disorder by Jerry Wakefield.
- March 20, 2018, Foundations of Bioethics Reading Group. Steve
Kershnar paper choice, “Can Consequences be Right
- April 24, 2018, Health, Harm and Well-Being Working group.
David Limbaugh paper choice, Stephen M. Campbell's: The Concept of
- May 22, 2018, Geert Craanen paper choice, Onora
O’Neil’s “Autonomy and Trust in
- June 19, 2018, End of Life Reading Group: Phil Reed paper
choice, Jukka Varelius “ Mental Illness, Natural Death, and
non-Voluntary Passive Euthanasia.”
- July 17, 2018, Keynoter papers in preparation for 2018 Romanell
The Romanell Conference on Bioethics and the Philosophy of Medicine recently featured keynotes by Jerome Wakefield and Christopher Boorse, pictured above on Buffalo's Niagara River shore, with Canada's shore on the horizon.
2016-2017 Featured Speakers
- David Koepsell JD, PhD, Mexico Comisión Nacional de
Bioética, "The Blockchain and Personal Genomics: tracking
rights and responsibilities securely", 9/20/16.
- Stephen Kershnar, JD, PhD, Fredonia, "People are not morally
responsible and why this matters for medical ethics",
- Miriam Shuchman MD, University of Toronto, 11/15/16.
- Barry Smith PhD, UB, "Document-Driven Healthcare",
- Joseph Fins MD, Cornell Univ, 1/17/17.
- David Essi, UB, Comparative Effectiveness Research: Case
studies in Germany & the United States, 2/21/17.
- Steven Fliesler PhD, UB, "Scientific Misconduct: The Nature of
the Beast", 3/21/17.
- Heather Ochs-Balcom, UB, 4/18/17.
- Susan Smith, UB, 5/16/17.
- Peter Koch, Baylor, 6/20/17.
2011 to 2016 Archive Listing
- Sean Philpott PhD, Union Graduate Program in Bioethics.
"Gonorrhea, Guatemala and Gung-Ho Researchers: The Scandalous
History of Research Ethics." 10/17/11.
- Stephen Wear PhD, UB. "Informed Consent." 12/19/11.
- Katie Grimm MD, UB: "Population Health: Applying an ethics lens
to public health initiatives." 02/20/12.
- Susan Smith PhD, UB: "The Use of Race in Clinical Research and
- Miriam Shuchman MD, University of Toronto: "Doing research on a
vulnerable population: the case of psychotic individuals."
- Peter Winkelstein, MD, MBA, UB: "Medicine 2.0: Ethical
Challenges of Social Media for the Health Profession."
- Ana Iltis PhD, Wake Forest: "'Research ethics consultation in a
clinical and translational science setting." 06/18/12.
- David Doukas MD, University of Louisville: "Cultivating
Humanism in the Clinical Scientist." 07/24/12
- Jack Freer MD, UB: "Return of individual research results."
- Harvey Berman PhD, UB "How Vioxx exposed conflicts of interest
at FDA and The New England Journal." 10/16/12.
- Barry Smith PhD, UB. "Ethics, Informatics and Obamacare."
- Stephen Wear PhD, UB, "Informed Consent: what should it
ideally/practically involve?" 01/15/13.
- Steven Fliesler PhD, UB. "Research Misconduct: The Nature of
the Beast." 02/19/13.
- Jim Lavery MSc, PhD, Univ Toronto, "Re-thinking the ethical
foundations of community engagement in research." 03/19/13.
- Dorothy Wright MA, MLS, UB, "Informed Consent: The Role of
Trust and Assurances." 04/16/13.
- Nancy Rourke PhD, Canisius, "Swallowing Sacrament: Dementia and
the Eucharist." 05/21/13.
- Jack Freer MD, UB, "Vulnerability and research at the end of
- D.Alan Shewmon MD, UCLA, "Vegetative State: Clinical and
Ethical Update." 08/20/13.
- Diane Schwartz MLS, Kaleida, UB, "Evidence Based Medicine &
Critical Appraisal of the Literature; Supporting Ethical Clinical
- Stephen Wear, PhD, UB, .Lies to the Sick and Dying Revisited.
- Nicoleta Voian, MD, MPH, RPCI, "Ethics and Genetics",
- Barry Smith, PhD UB, ""Clinical Trial Data Wants To Be Free:
Lessons from the NIAID Immunology Database and Analysis Portal",
- Harvey Berman PhD, MPH, UB, "Noninvasive Prenatal Testing: Has
the slippery slope become slipperier?" 02/18/13.
- Jason Eberl PhD, Marian University and Indiana University
Center for Bioethics, Richard Gronostajski PhD, UB, Western New
York Stem Cell Culture and Analysis Center (WNYSTEM), "Societal
Issues in Stem Cell Research." 03/18/14.
- Camille Wicher PhD, RN, RPCI,"What Research Reveals about the
African American Perception of Hospice", 04/15/14.
- Jack Freer MD, UB, "The Research-Treatment Distinction.an
obsolete concept?" 05/20/14.
- David Hershenov PhD, UB Philosophy, Rose Hershenov PhD, Niagara
U Philosophy, "Health, Harm and Potential", 06/17/14.
- Laurene Tumiel-Berhalter PhD, UB Family Medicine. "Patient
Voices Network: Ethical considerations in Participatory Research",
- Miriam Shuchman MD, UB, U Toronto, "Research Collaborations
Between High- and Low-income Countries -- equity, ethics, and Ebola
- Lisa Lehman MD, PhD, Harvard Medical School, "High Value Care
and the Physician-Patient Relationship", 11/18/14.
- Kim Griswold MD, UB Family Medicine, "Ethical issues in
providing services to refugee and asylum seekers", 12/16/14.
- Nicoleta Voian, MD, MPH, RPCI, "Ethical aspects of genetic
testing for hereditary cancer syndromes", 1/20/15.
- Steven Fliesler PhD, UB Ophthalmology, "Plagiarism: Walking on
the Dark Side", 2/17/15.
- Barry Smith PhD, UB Philosophy, "Ontology of Aging and Death",
- David Kaye MD, UB Psychiatry, "Ethical Questions in Pediatric
Primary Care/Psychiatry Collaborative Care Programs",
- James DuBois DSc PhD, Washington Univ St. Louis, "Responding to
Wrongdoing in Research", 5/19/15.
- Stephen Kershnar PhD, Fredonia, "Quantifying Health",
- Camille Wicher PhD, RN, RPCI,"Incidental Findings in Research",
- Harvey Berman, PhD, UB Pharmacology, "Scientific Fraud."
- Timothy Quill MD, Univ of Rochester, "Last Resort Options for
Intractable Suffering: What is possible in New York now and in
the future?" 12/15/15
- Nancy Rourke PhD, Canisius, "The Ethics Beyond Ugly Sweaters:
Lying and Advanced Dementia", 1/19/16.
- David Hershenov PhD, UB Philosophy, "Death and Dignity."
- Phillip Reed PhD, Canisius, "Suicide and Assisted Dying."
- Jack Freer MD, UB Medicine, ".Decision Making Capacity and
- Laurene Tumiel-Berhalter PhD, UB Family Medicine, (co-presented
with Sarah Reilly, UB IRB), "Describing the role of community
members in research: Researcher and IRB perspectives."
- Geert Craenen MD, Buffalo VA, UB Ophthalmology, "The Moral
Agency of Virtual Surgical Simulators." 6/21/16.