The University at Buffalo is a diverse, inclusive scholarly community dedicated to bringing the benefits of its research, scholarship and creative activity, and educational excellence to global and local communities in ways that impact and positively change the world. We view the three traditional pillars of the public higher education mission—research, education, and service—as interdependent endeavors that continually enrich and inform each other. Groundbreaking research, transformative educational experiences, and deeply engaged service to its communities define the University at Buffalo’s mission as a premier, research-intensive public university.
Building on the existing strong foundation of academic excellence, knowledge and understanding, UB will advance into the highest tier of the nation’s leading public research universities, thereby expanding the scope of its reach and the strength of its world-wide impact.
UB will enhance its national and international stature by achieving a number of specific academic objectives. Among the strategic goals articulated for the immediate future, UB will:
· Build on its foundation of faculty excellence through significant investments in areas of strategic strength across the disciplines to build intellectual and instructional capacity, increase federal and other research funding, expand student opportunities and heighten the academic reputation of the university.
· Enhance the overall student educational experience while raising the academic profile of its undergraduate, graduate and professional students and significantly improving its undergraduate four- and six-year graduation rates
· Improve academic support infrastructures to provide state-of-the-art educational and research environments that advance faculty and students in their ongoing pursuit of excellence.
· Further enhance its faculty and student diversity through focused enrollment and hiring strategies and implementation of best practices with regard to recruitment and retention.
· Expand its impact as a recognized leader in international education, leveraging its diverse international population and strong portfolio of institutional partnerships to strengthen the university’s international presence and to advance its commitment to preparing students to live and lead in a global world.
· Deepen its impact and outreach in the regional community, strengthening programs and partnerships that contribute to the social, cultural and economic vitality of Western New York.
· Align strategically the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the other health science schools with key health-related and research partners to improve health-care outcomes for the region and expand the university’s health science programs and curricula, while improving the national rankings of the health sciences schools.