NeMLA Session Chair Policies
- Chairs may present a paper at their own session or choose to
present in another session.
- No more than two people from the same institution (including
the session chair) will be allowed on any session, without prior
approval from the NeMLA Board. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with
- NeMLA does not accept pre-formed sessions: please consider all
abstracts received up to the September 30th deadline.
- No one may chair more than one session of a type. Familiarize
yourself with the types of sessions here.
Publicizing Your Panel
- Publicize and promote your session among colleagues and at
other fora/organizations that you might be a part of.
- You can also post a CFP advertising your session at conference
announcing websites such as:
- Note that most abstracts arrive closer to the deadline. Second
reminders closer to the deadline are encouraged.
- NOTE: When advertising your session, include the web
site URL where potential participants may submit their
Withdrawing a Session
- Decisions to withdraw a panel should be communicated promptly
to the Administrative Coordinator at email@example.com.
Changing Session Type
- Any changes to sessions will be granted upon request. Please
email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you have many submissions that you are considering accepting
to your 4-paper traditional session, you may consider changing the
session to a seminar or a roundtable to accommodate more
presenters. Seminars are paper-based but circulated ahead of time
and may include a maximum 10 presenters. Roundtables may include a
maximum 10 presenters.
Receiving and Reviewing Abstracts for Your Session
- Beginning June 15 abstract proposals from applicants
interested in being considered for presenting at your panel can be
submitted electronically. You will receive electronic notification
of these submissions.
- Only abstracts received through the NeMLA web site
may be considered.
- Do not accept any abstracts before the September 30
deadline. NeMLA values giving all applicants a fair chance at
having their submissions considered, so chairs must consider all
abstracts received by the deadline.
- After the September 30 submission deadline, chairs will
be able to accept or decline abstracts through the
- Please consider accepting 4 papers for traditional paper panels
and roundtables so a withdrawal does not threaten the viability of
your session. For example, 2-paper traditional paper panels and
2-person roundtables are not allowed.
Notifying All Applicants
- Before sending any declination emails, contact your accepted
panelists and confirm a commitment to the panel since participants
at NeMLA can deliver only one paper of any type at the convention.
Note that NeMLA members often submit abstracts to more than one
- Professional courtesy in acknowledging all submissions via
email and sending acceptance and declination emails is in order.
Acceptance or declination emails must be sent to all applicants no
later than October 15. Please do not leave any
applicant in doubt about the status of their submission: email
- Chairs must inform accepted and confirmed panelists that
the membership/registration fee
is due online
by December 9 11:59 PM Eastern. Applicants who do not
pay the membership/registration fee will not be barred
from presenting at the convention. Registration and membership
open as early as October 1. For presenters' names and presentations
to be included in the convention
program, they pay membership/registration by
December. After December 9, membership/registration
payment includes a late fee; please review late fees here.
- Chairs may not finalize sessions until all accepted
presenters have each confirmed that they will participate in
the session. Some presenters submit to multiple sessions, and NeMLA
rules do not allow participation in more than one panel of a type.
Therefore, chairs must not assume presenters have accepted without
they written explicit confirmation. A chair's NeMLA account will
alert whether a presenter is already committed to another session
of the same type.
- When confirming with accepted presenters, please confirm the
title of the presenter's presentation, their name, and their
audio-visual requests. Audio-visual technology requests submitted
after October 15 may not be considered due to limited availability
- Before finalizing, please proofread your session
- Session titles and abstract title must use capital letters
unless in a language other than English.
- There are to be no quotation marks around the session title or
abstract title itself, only single quotation marks around titles of
short stories, poems, and similar short works.
- Do not place a period at the end of session titles or abstract
- Since traditional panel and roundtable formats are
significantly different, requests to change panels to
roundtables after September 30 will only be
granted under rare circumstances.
- Completed session information is due no later
than October 15 and should be submitted via
- When finalizing,
- Please wait until after October 15 finalization deadline
to notify persons who submitted abstracts that you marked as
declined or under consideration. This is in case those you accepted
have declined to join your session, and you may need to accept
submissions you marked under consideration in order to have the
minimum number of presentations or the minimum number of
- In December, chairs will receive a panel proof they will
be asked to correct for the online and print programs. Make sure to
respond promptly to this request.
- NeMLA is a juried convention, and sometimes fine proposals are
turned down. Chairs may elect to change a panel to a seminar format
or a roundtable format to accommodate more than 4 participants.
However, NeMLA also considers requests for second sessions.
- Strong justifications for a second panel will be considered and
should be submitted online when finalizing in your user account.
When finalizing your session, please click the box to request a
second session and include a 150-word rationale why there should be
a second session.
- Requests for second sessions are determined by strong
justifications and space availability. Therefore, not all requests
may be graned.
- Those chairs requesting second sessions will receive
notification as to NeMLA's decision by October
Audiovisual Requests and Wireless Internet
- Please remind applicants to indicate their individual media
needs when they submit their paper abstracts in their user
- Audiovisual equipment available for sessions include
projectors, projector screens, VGA cables, audio cables, and audio
speakers. Projector slide advancer remotes and other technology may
be available, only if requested in an email sent to email@example.com; otherwise,
please assume those items will not be provided and plan
- Presenters must provide their own computers or other devices
that can be connected via VGA to the projector. If you have an
Apple laptop or other device that requires a VGA adapter, please
bring that projector adapter to the convention with you.
- Before the convention, please remind your panelists to provide
their own computers that can be connected via VGA to the projector.
If they are using an Apple laptop or other device that requires a
VGA adapter, please remind them to bring such an adapter.
- While NeMLA makes all efforts possible to provide wireless
Internet at its annual convention, it is not always possible.
Participants should anticipate Internet will not be provided by the
convention site. Participants are welcome to use their mobile
device for Internet, including as a mobile
hotspot/wireless router tether.
- If there are any difficulties choosing audiovisual requests,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NeMLA does not allow papers to be read in absentia, by webcam,
or by other online means, regardless of circumstances. Do not
include applicants who cannot attend in person.
- Chairs must email email@example.com as soon as
possible if any participant withdraws.
- If chairs themselves are not able to attend, it is their
responsibility to find someone else to chair the session and to
inform the Chair Coordinator of the change.
- Registration fees may be refunded if the convention participant
notifies the Administrative Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org of their need
to withdraw from the program at least six weeks prior to the
opening of the convention. Membership fees are
- If you have any questions, ideas, or concerns regarding session
chair guidelines, do not hesititate to contact email@example.com and your