Propose/Chair a 2019 Session
- Session proposals must be submitted online only. Sign in or create a user account, click the top dropdown menu "User," then click "Create New Session."
- By submitting a session proposal, you commit to be the session chair should the proposal be accepted. Once your panel is accepted, you as session chair must ensure that your membership is current.
- NeMLA looks for focused sessions that will draw interesting, quality debate. Your proposal should clearly establish the title, main topic, theoretical approach, and goals for the session. Co-chairs allowed. No pre-formed sessions are permitted.
- Before composing your proposal, familiarize yourself with the types of sessions and view NeMLA's Areas of Inquiry for information on topics sought.
Deadlines and Format Requirements
- Each year, sessions proposals are due here in March, April, or May of the year prior to the convention. Confirmation whether a session proposal is accepted is sent to chairs during the summer of the year prior to the convention.
- All session submissions are electronic and thus have space restrictions (character and word counts are listed below).
- Each session proposal must include:
- A title (80 characters, including spaces)
- A session format (choices: panel, roundtable, seminar, creative, workshop, poster presentation)
- A primary subject area and an optional secondary subject area (choices include current Areas of Inquiry as well as Canadian, Russian, non-European languages, Rhetoric & Composition, and Interdisciplinary Humanities)
- The name of your co-chair (optional; co-chairs must be NeMLA members at time of proposal)
- An abstract, including a statement of the significance of the proposed session (200 to 300 words)
- A description to appear in the online call for papers at CFP List and in the NeMLA Summer Newsletter (no more than 100 words). Do not include the session title, deadline, any contact information, or length of abstracts. You may list the preferred language for abstracts.
- Additional comments (optional; will not be published in CFP List and are visible to only chairs and NeMLA staff)
- It is recommended that you write your proposal in a word processing program, then copy it to paste into the online submission textboxes.
- The submission page allows text to be put into italics. Please proofread proposals to add italics where needed.
- Should your proposal be accepted, you will be notified via email in the summer the year before the convention. Once you receive notification of your panel's acceptance, be sure to update your NeMLA membership and review the chair guidelines.