Published December 19, 2012
To: All UB Employees
From: Charles F. Zukoski, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
I am pleased to report that the search for the next dean of the Graduate School of Education (GSE) is underway. Robert Shibley, dean of the School of Architecture and Planning, has accepted my invitation to serve as chair of the search committee.
We are grateful to Professor Jaekyung Lee, who has been serving as interim dean of GSE since July 2012. It is important that we move forward now with an international search for GSE’s next dean in order to ensure the school’s promising future.
The search committee includes faculty members and a student from the Graduate School of Education, as well as other faculty and community members with professional interests and experience relevant to GSE. I want to express my thanks to the members of the search committee for their willingness to assist UB in recruiting an outstanding individual for this important university leadership position. In addition to Dean Shibley, members of the search committee include:
· Fenice Boyd, Associate Professor of Learning and Instruction, and Associate Dean for Teacher Preparation
· Greg Dimitriadis, Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy
· Catherine Dulmus, Professor and Associate Dean for Research, School of Social Work
· Gregory Fabiano, Associate Professor of Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology
· Xiufeng Liu, Professor of Learning and Instruction
· David Mauricio, Community Superintendent, Office of School Performance, Buffalo Public Schools
· Valerie Nesset, Research Assistant Professor of Library and Information Studies
· Amanda Nickerson, Associate Professor of Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology
· Michelle Russell, Ph.D. student, Educational Leadership and Policy
· Lois Weis, SUNY Distinguished Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy
Under the leadership of Dean Shibley, and with the support of the search committee, I have every confidence that our search for the next dean of the Graduate School of Education will be a great success. We have secured the services of Jon Derek Croteau, Ed.D., Vice President & Partner of the executive search firm, Witt/Kieffer, to assist in the search. Dr. Croteau has a proven track record at UB and many other AAU institutions in attracting high caliber candidates for senior academic and administrative positions.
The search committee and search firm will be involved in recruitment activities throughout the next semester. We expect on-campus visits by finalists for the position late in the spring semester, and hope to have the new dean in place before the start of the 2013-14 academic year. Throughout the coming months, Dean Shibley will update the university community regarding the committee’s progress.
Charles F. Zukoski
Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs