J-1 Student Intern

Find out what requirements you must meet as a J-1 Student Intern.

Effective April 1, 2019

A $200 Student Intern Application Fee is required. Information and the link to the online ePay site can be found on the "Inviting a Student Intern" page.  

Students who are currently enrolled in and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S. and whose U.S. internship will fulfill the educational objectives for their current degree program may participate in the J-1 Student Intern program as long as they meet certain requirements.
To invite a J-1 Student Intern, please review the following information. 
Learn what J-1 Student Interns need to know about paying the SEVIS fee.
All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by the U.S. Department of State to have health insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S.
Every Student Intern must meet with an International Student Advisor to complete the check-in process, which includes an overview of immigration requirements.
The intent of the Exchange Visitor Program is for the home country to benefit from the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s experiences in the U.S. Accordingly, J-1 Exchange Visitors and their accompanying J-2 dependents may be subject to a two-year home residency requirement.
Get the information and forms you need for J-1 Student Interns and Intern Supervisors.
If you will not complete your internship by the expected date, you must apply for an extension. This must be done before your current DS-2019 expires.
Get the forms for J-1 Student Intern transfers.
J-2 dependents are eligible to work in the U.S. as long as they meet certain conditions first.
Recent changes in how the USCIS interprets the law means that students who violate their immigration status will now accrue unlawful presence. It is extremely important that all international students maintain their immigration status.