health care professional and a student

All students attending a State University of New York (SUNY) campus are required to have medical insurance coverage which meets certain requirements.

On this page:

How do I enroll in the SUNY health insurance plan for international students? What is the cost?

All international students who are registered for at least one credit at UB are automatically enrolled in the SUNY health insurance plan.  You will be billed for your health insurance premium along with other university expenses (tuition, fees, etc.) at the beginning of each semester.

What are the specifics of SUNY's health insurance plan for international students?

The Student Medical Insurance Office (a division of Sub-Board I, Inc.) manages your health insurance policy and coverage. For information about SUNY's health insurance plan for international students, please read the "GeoBlue Student Member Guide". Note: This insurance policy does not cover dental or vision care except in case of injury.

How do I enroll my spouse and/or children in SUNY health insurance plan?

You will need to complete the Dependent Enrollment Form and submit it along with payment for your dependents to the Student Medical Insurance Office, 1Capen, North Campus.

Am I eligible to enroll in the SUNY health insurance plan for international students if I am on Optional Practical Training after my graduation from UB?

Yes. If you have completed your program at UB and are on Post-Completion OPT, you may enroll in the SUNY health insurance plan. In order to enroll, you must have been enrolled in it for at least the last month of the student coverage. There can be no gaps in your coverage and no exceptions will be made for students who have gaps and, therefore, missed the chance to apply. Contact the Student Medical Insurance Office for more information.

What if I have other health insurance?

If you wish to use a different health insurance plan, you must have your policy reviewed to make sure it meets and/or exceeds SUNY's minimum requirements. You will only be permitted a waiver of the cost of the SUNY health insurance if your policy matches or exceeds the SUNY policy and is approved by UB's Student Medical Insurance Office. Note: The health insurance plan provided by sponsoring agenices to Fulbright students does not meet the SUNY requirement so those students will need to enroll in the SUNY health insurance plan as well.

NOTE: SUNY requires you to have medical evacuation and repatriation insurance. Therefore, even if you are able to waive the basic SUNY health insurance, you will have to purchase the SUNY medical evacuation and repatriation insurance unless you already have such coverage. (Medical evacuation insurance pays for you to be transported to the nearest medical facility or your home country in case of serious illness or injury. Repatriation insurance pays for your remains to be transported to your home country in case of death.)

We strongly recommend that you have your prospective health insurance reviewed by UB's Student Medical Insurance Office BEFORE purchasing it. If you buy another policy and it does not meet SUNY's minimum requirements, you will have to pay for both policies.

How do I apply for a waiver of SUNY's health insurance plan for international students?

We urge you to contact the Student Medical Insurance Office directly (Tel. 716-645-3036) and tell them the name of the policy / insurer that you are considering or already have. They are familiar with many international health insurance policies, and may be able to quickly determine whether or not your policy is sufficient.

To have your policy reviewed, the first step is to complete the International Student Insurance Waiver Form. Submit the completed form to the Student Medical Insurance Office (SMI) in 1Capen. SMI staff will review your application to determine if your policy is comparable to every policy item mandated by the State University of New York.

1Capen University at Buffalo

Phone: (716) 645-3036; Fax: (716) 645-3465