Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

South Campus Buildings

210WIN
6/19/14
Storage.
220WIN
6/19/14
220 Winspear is home of Environment Health and Safety - a division of University Facilities as well as the Office of Sustainability, key to our important campus environmental conservation efforts..  It also houses the maintenance shops to service the South Campus facilities.
250WIN
6/19/14
220 Winspear is home of Environment Health and Safety - a division of University Facilities.  It also houses the maintenance shops to service the South Campus facilities.
ABBOTT
6/19/14
Charles D. Abbott Hall houses UB's extensive Health Sciences Library. The original 1933 building, then called Lockwood Library, nearly doubled in size with the 1985 addition. The library's grand entranceway is truly impressive, and is worth a visit in its own right., and the long, stone balustrade was salvaged from the old Albright Estate by architect E.B. Green
6/19/14
This temporary metal building was erected in 1966 to provide additional classroom space. It is scheduled for demolition within the next few years or so the story goes. With the limited amount of building space, it proves very difficult to part with such structures.
Allen
6/19/14
Originally Baird Hall, until that name moved to the North Campus, Allen Hall was built as the music building for a proposed (but never completed) Fine Arts Center. It is now well known to listeners of WBFO, an NPR station. It houses the recording studios as well as a performance hall, the site of Opus Classics and other events.
BECK
6/19/14
Beck Hall originally served as the university bookstore. It is modeled on the Holland Land Company building in nearby Batavia, New York. The Holland Land Company was the original developer of the city of Buffalo in the first decade of the nineteenth century.
BIOED
6/19/14
Completed in 1986, the facility was designed with a number of teaching/instrcutional spaces rather than research laboratories. It also houses the Dean's administrative offices for the School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences.
BIORES
6/19/14
Completed in 1995, the facility was designed to accommodate the heavy research effort performed by the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
BMRC
6/19/14
Not applicable.
CARY
6/19/14
Dr. Charles Cary Hall is now part of the Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
6/19/14
Clark Hall is the South Campus's athletic and recreation facility. Its contains gymnasiums, handball courts, a swimming pool, a weight room, men's and women's locker facilities and offices. Current activities include intramural, club, and summer sports programs. Clark Hall was constructed as the Irwin B. Clark Memorial Gymnasium in 1937 and is three stories tall with a full basement. An addition was built in 1948.
CLEMNT
6/19/14
Clement Hall, a high-rise dormitory, contains two lounges, recreation and study facilities, and housing for 500 students.
Crosby Hall
6/19/14
Crosby Hall houses studio and office space for the School of Architecture and Planning. It originally housed the School of Business Administration (School of Management).
DFN
6/19/14
Diefendorf Hall houses several large lecture halls as well as other centrally scheduled classrooms. It houses the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Program administered through the Psychology Department.
DFN_A
6/19/14
Diefendorf Annex houses the Office for University Preparatory Programs (OUPP), and the Department of Exercise & Nutrition Sciences' teaching labs. Like most of the "temporary" buildings on South Campus, it is slated for demolition after the reallocation of its occupants within the next few years.
FARBER
6/19/14
The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
FARB_A
6/19/14
Study area for Medical School students.
FOSTER
6/19/14
Orin Elliott Foster Hall is home to classroom and research space for UB's nationally recognized School of Dental Medicine.  The original 1921 building was extensively renovated in 1983.
GARAGE
6/19/14
University Facilities services and stores vehicles in this garage.
GN_STR
6/19/14
The South Campus General Storage Building is used for the storage of inactive equipment.
GOODYR
6/19/14
Goodyear is a high-rise residence hall that has lounges on every floor, kitchenettes and laundry facilities, as well as recreational facilities for students. It continued UB's movement towards becoming a true residential college.
HARRIM
6/19/14
Originally known as Norton Hall (1933-1962), before that name was given to the building on the North Campus, Harriman Hall was built to house student activities.  Additionally, Harriman Hall offers plenty of student activity space, a conveniently located dining facility, the Off-Campus Housing office, and a satellite office for Parking and Transportation Services.
HAYES
6/19/14
Hayes Hall houses the School of Architecture and Planning, including the architectural library. It originally served as the University administration's headquarters. 
HAYESA
6/19/14
One of the many "temporary" buildings erected in the '60's on the South Campus.
HAYESB
6/19/14
One of the many "temporary" buildings erected on South Campus in the '60's.
HAYESC
6/19/14
One of the many "temporary" buildings erected on the South Campus in the '60's.
HAYESD
6/19/14
At one time, this building was part of the Erie County Almshouse and Poor Farm.
Medical School Complex
6/19/14
The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations. The Biomedical Education Building addition was completed in 1986, and the Biomedical Research Building was added in 1995. Founded in 1846, the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical research complexes in the SUNY system.
HOWE
6/19/14
University Facilities uses this space for various functions.
Kapoor
6/19/14
The approximately 160,000 square foot facility, renamed from Acheson Hall in honor of alumnus John Kapoor 72, is home to The School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. The existing building was stripped down to its original concrete structural frame and will incorporate many green design features such as maximizing natural daylight (75 percent of all space in the building will receive natural light). The building will achieve a LEED silver rating and will provide a state-of-the-art Pharmaceutical Care and Teaching Center and establish a better link between the Academic Health Center and the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
KIMBAL
6/19/14
Kimball Tower, formerly a residence hall, now houses the School of Public Health and Health Professions and the School of Nursing, as well as classrooms and the WBFO transmitter.
MCDNLD
6/19/14
MacDonald Hall is one of four matching dormitories surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college.  The quadrangle of Pritchard, Michael, Schoellkopf and MacDonald, formed UB's first step toward becoming a residential college.
MACKAY
6/19/14
MacKay is the South Campus heating facility. Its tower is a campus landmark. The plant was renovated in 1973. Another renovation was completed in the Fall of 2004 at around the cost of $11,000, 000, and consisted of the removal of the old boilers and installation of new ones as well as the demolition of the coal handling facilities. In addition to producing steam, stationary engineers are located here, and use MacKay as their building management system control point, that allows remote monitoring of the campus HVAC systems.
MICHL
6/19/14
One of four matching buildings surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college, Michael Hall now houses the Student Health Center. It has also reclaimed it original function, with the third and fourth floor becoming dorm facilities for incoming freshmen.
OIL_P
6/19/14
Oil pumping station.
6/19/14
Parker Hall was designed to house the School of Engineering. The huge growth in this discipline led to additions to the building in 1947 & 1948.
PRTCHD
6/19/14
One of four matching dormitories surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college, Pritchard remains a dormitory.  The quadrangle of Pritchard, Michael, Schoellkopf and MacDonald, formed UB's first step toward becoming a residential college. Pritchard was originally named Cooke Residence Hall.
CHMSTR
6/19/14
Not Applicable.
CHILDA
6/19/14
SC Childcare Center A & B house the South Campus Child Care Center.
CHILDB
6/19/14
SC Childcare Center A& B house the South Campus Child Care Center.
6/19/14
SC Childcare Center A & B house the South Campus Child Care Center.
ESSS
6/19/14
The South Campus Electric Substation assists in providing power to the buildings on the campus.
6/19/14
Not Applicable
south campus water pump station
6/19/14
The South Campus Water Pumps assist in the water distribution for all South Campus buildings.
South Campus Salt Barn
6/19/14
Permanent structure to house the winter salt storage.
ESWS
6/19/14
The South Campus Switchgear Building assists in providing power to the buildings on the campus.
SCHKPF
6/19/14
One of four matching dormitories surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college, Schoellkopf remains a dormitory.  The quadrangle of Pritchard, Michael, Schoellkopf and MacDonald, formed UB's first step toward becoming a residential college.
SHRMN
6/19/14
The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
SHRMNA
6/19/14
The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
SIGN
6/19/14
The Sign Shop Building is now used for storage on the South Campus. It had been used for the fabrication of interior and exterior signs as well as dog kennels for the University Police.
SQUIRE
6/19/14
Squire Hall, built as a student center, was originally called Norton Union. A plan to close the student union in 1978 led to years of protest, but in 1986 Squire re-opened after extensive renovations and an 80,000 sf addition as the home of the School of Dental Medicine. It contains clinics and labs, as well as offices for faculty and staff.
TWNSND
6/19/14
Originally part of the Erie County Almshouse and Poor Farm, Townsend Hall is presently vacant.
WENDE
6/19/14
Wende Hall was the maternity ward of the county alms house that once occupied the site of the South Campus. When the site was purchased by the University, this building was called Hochstetter Hall and housed the Physics Department. The Hochstetter name was transferred to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's and the building was renamed Wende Hall. Its primary occupant is University Development. The building was greatly expanded from the original with construction of an addition, completed in 1955.