Squire Hall, built as a student center, was originally called Norton Union. A plan to close the student union in 1978 led to years of protest, but in 1986 Squire re-opened after extensive renovations and an 80,000 sf addition as the home of the School of Dental Medicine. It contains clinics and labs, as well as offices for faculty and staff.
Daniel H. Squire (1869-1935) was a graduate of the first dental school class in 1892. Squire was also professor and dean of the School of Dental Medicine for about 25 years.