Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Sherman Hall Annex

SHRMNA

Overview

Facility
SHRMNA
Number
002A
Function
Gross Square Feet
30,982
Construction Cost
$1,300,000
Completed
June, 1970
Architect
Thomas Justin lmbs and Associates

Occupants

Function

The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations.

The building is occupied by departments in the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, founded in 1846, it is the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical research complexes in the SUNY system.

Namesake

SHRMNA

Professor of pediatrics at UB from 1909 to 1929, DeWitt Halsey Sherman (1864-1940) developed the university's Department of Pediatrics and also guided the expansion of Children's Hospital. A graduate of the medical school (Class of 1891), he left the bulk of his estate to the medical school. With the bequest and generous gift of Mrs. Sherman, almost $500,000 was used in the construction of a new medical building (a wing added to then-Capen Hall in 1958).

Historical research and photographs provided by University Archives.