The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was
originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building
on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and
dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
The building is primarily occupied by departments in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, founded in 1846, it is the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical research complexes in the SUNY system.
Professor of pediatrics at UB from 1909 to 1929, DeWitt Halsey
Sherman (1864-1940) developed the university's Department of
Pediatrics and also guided the expansion of Children's Hospital. A
graduate of the medical school (Class of 1891), he left the bulk of
his estate to the medical school. With the bequest and generous
gift of Mrs. Sherman, almost $500,000 was used in the construction
of a new medical building (a wing added to then-Capen Hall in