Parker Hall was designed to house the School of Engineering. The huge growth in this discipline led to additions to the building in 1947 & 1948.
Parker Hall currently houses a wide variety of teaching and research facilities. Millard Fillmore College, UB's evening, summer and distance-learning college, is housed here, as well as the School of Medicine's Nuclear Medicine department. The Center for Hearing & Deafness, part of the College of Arts and Sciences' Communicative Disorders and Sciences department is also here, as well as Architecture studio space.
Karr Parker (1892-1986) was president of the Buffalo Electric Company and was a member of the University Council for about 17 years. He was also president Buffalo Electric Company from 1939 to 1977. As chairman of the Buildings and Grounds Committee for 15 years, Parker was responsible for the construction of many South Campus buildings. The Engineering Building, constructed in 1949, was the first of several buildings erected on the Main Street Campus under his chairmanship. It was named in his honor by the UB Council on June 4, 1962.