MacDonald Hall is one of four matching dormitories surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college. The quadrangle of Pritchard, Michael, Schoellkopf and MacDonald, formed UB's first step toward becoming a residential college.
Lillias M. MacDonald (1885-1961), a Buffalo native, taught physical education in the YWCA and in Buffalo schools before Chancellor Capen appointed her to the positions of Dean of Women (UB's first Dean of Women) and Assistant Professor of Hygiene in 1922. (MacDonald taught Hygiene at UB until 1948. She devoted nearly 25 years to the establishment of on-campus student residence halls. MacDonald began advocating dormitories almost immediately after joining the faculty.