MacKay is the South Campus heating facility. Its tower is a campus landmark. The plant was renovated in 1973. Another renovation was completed in the Fall of 2004 at around the cost of $11,000, 000, and consisted of the removal of the old boilers and installation of new ones as well as the demolition of the coal handling facilities. In addition to producing steam, stationary engineers are located here, and use MacKay as their building management system control point, that allows remote monitoring of the campus HVAC systems.
Gerald F. MacKay (1906-1965) was an industrial plant manager for
many years. When he later joined the university staff, he became
known as a man motivated to render service to the academic program
at minimum cost.