The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was
originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building
on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and
dental schools to move from their downtown locations. The
Biomedical Education Building addition was completed in 1986, and
the Biomedical Research Building was added in 1995. Founded in
1846, the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is
the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical
research complexes in the SUNY system.
Charles Cary (d.1931) was UB graduate, a faculty and university council member, and Dean of the Medical School (1882-83).
Sidney Farber (1904-1973) was a UB graduate who later served as a faculty member at Harvard Medical School, a specialist in cancer in children.
DeWitt Halsey Sherman (1884-1976) was the first pediatrics professor at the Medical School in 1909. He played an important part in the expansion of the Buffalo Children's Hospital.