Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Howe Research Building

HOWE

Overview

Facility
HOWE
Number
0028
Function
Gross Square Feet
9,824
Construction Cost
$191,000
Completed
June, 1957
Architect
James Meadows & Howard

Occupants

Function

University Facilities uses this space for various functions.

Namesake

Dr. Lucien Howe (1848-1928) an Ophthalmologist from Buffalo, NY, founded the Howe Laboratory in 1926. His mission was to promote ophthalmic research and education with an emphasis in ophthalmic genetics, ocular muscles, and physiologic optics. He is remembered most primarily for his groundbreaking work in blindness prevention. He was a UB professor of ophthalmology for 30 years. Howe was instrumental in establishing the Buffalo Eye and Ear Infirmary in 1876. Lucien also owned the "Old Red Mill" in Jericho, Vermont.

Historical research and photographs provided by University Archives.