Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Harriman Hall

HARRIM

Overview

Facility
HARRIM
Number
0017
Function
Gross Square Feet
56,924
Construction Cost
$650,000
Completed
April, 1933
Architect
Duanne Lyman (1953)

Occupants

Function

Originally known as Norton Hall (1933-1962), before that name was given to the building on the North Campus, Harriman Hall was built to house student activities.  Additionally, Harriman Hall offers plenty of student activity space, a conveniently located dining facility, the Off-Campus Housing office, and a satellite office for Parking and Transportation Services.

Namesake

HARRIM

Lewis G. Harriman (1890-1973) was a prominent Western New York businessman and civic leader who also served on the University Council. He was president of the Manufacturers and Traders (M&T) Trust Company.

When a new student union building was built on the Main Street Campus, the name Norton Union was transferred to the new structure (now again renamed as Squire Hall), and the original Norton Union was renamed in honor of Lewis G. Harriman.

Historical research and photographs provided by University Archives.