Originally known as Norton Hall (1933-1962), before that name
was given to the building on the North Campus, Harriman Hall was
built to house student activities. Additionally, Harriman
Hall offers plenty of student activity space, a conveniently
located dining facility, the Off-Campus Housing office, and a
satellite office for Parking and Transportation Services.
Lewis G. Harriman (1890-1973) was a prominent Western New York
businessman and civic leader who also served on the University
Council. He was president of the Manufacturers and Traders
(M&T) Trust Company.
When a new student union building was built on the Main Street Campus, the name Norton Union was transferred to the new structure (now again renamed as Squire Hall), and the original Norton Union was renamed in honor of Lewis G. Harriman.