The Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was
originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building
on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and
dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
The building is occupied by departments in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, founded in 1846, it is the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical research complexes in the SUNY system. The newly created (2003) School of Public Health and Health Professions is also the other major occupant of the building.
Sidney Farber (1903-1973) born in Buffalo, was a UB graduate in
1923 who later served as a faculty member at Harvard Medical School
for 41 years, regarded as one of the founders of the specialty of
pediatric pathology. The Clinical Trials Cooperative Group Program
was conceived in 1955 when Dr. Sidney Farber, Mary Lasker, and
others approached Congress with a proposal that it increase support
for studies of chemotherapy for cancer. In the area of clinical
care, one of Farber's innovations was something that sounds as if
it could have come out of today's headlines. "He came up with the
idea of what is now called 'total care'. He decided that all
services for the patient and family - clinical care, nutrition,
social work, counseling - should be provided in one place. All
decisions should be made as a team. Everyone involved in caregiving
should plan the treatment together." says former Institute
President David G. Nathan, M.D.