Dr. Charles Cary Hall is now part of the Cary-Farber-Sherman
complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel
P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the
1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from
their downtown locations.
The building is occupied by departments in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, founded in 1846, it is the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical research complexes in the SUNY system. Communicative Disorders and the Center for Hearing and Deafness also occupy a significant share of the building allowing for the fruitful exchange of ideas and knowledge among the disciplines.
Charles Cary (1879-1922)(d.1931) was a UB graduate studying
medicine, receiving his M.D. in 1875. After a year of medical study
in France and eighteen months in Belgium, he did more post-graduate
work in New York at the College of Physicians and Surgeons and at
Bellevue. In 1879, the year he returned to Buffalo, he was
appointed attending physician at Buffalo General and joined the
medical faculty at U.B. Charles was also appointed the Dean of the
Medical School (1882-83) at U.B. He was Professor of Anatomy,
Materia Medica, Therapeutics, and Clinical Medicine until 1911.
Until retirement in 1921, he remained on the staff of Buffalo
General and for 49 years a member of the University Council.
Charles Cary was not only a first rate-physician but one of America's leading sportsmen. He promoted golf in America and was an organizer of the Aeronautical Club of America, the second oldest aviation club in the world.