Dr. Charles Cary Hall is now part of the Cary-Farber-Sherman complex, built in the early 1950's, was originally named for Samuel P. Capen (his name went to a building on the North Campus in the 1970's), and allowed the medical and dental schools to move from their downtown locations.
The building is occupied by departments in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, founded in 1846, it is the university's oldest division and one of the major biomedical research complexes in the SUNY system. Communicative Disorders and the Center for Hearing and Deafness also occupy a significant share of the building allowing for the fruitful exchange of ideas and knowledge among the disciplines.
Charles Cary (1879-1922)(d.1931) was a UB graduate studying medicine, receiving his M.D. in 1875. After a year of medical study in France and eighteen months in Belgium, he did more post-graduate work in New York at the College of Physicians and Surgeons and at Bellevue. In 1879, the year he returned to Buffalo, he was appointed attending physician at Buffalo General and joined the medical faculty at U.B. Charles was also appointed the Dean of the Medical School (1882-83) at U.B. He was Professor of Anatomy, Materia Medica, Therapeutics, and Clinical Medicine until 1911. Until retirement in 1921, he remained on the staff of Buffalo General and for 49 years a member of the University Council.
Charles Cary was not only a first rate-physician but one of America's leading sportsmen. He promoted golf in America and was an organizer of the Aeronautical Club of America, the second oldest aviation club in the world.