Charles D. Abbott Hall houses UB's extensive Health Sciences Library. The original 1933 building, then called Lockwood Library, nearly doubled in size with the 1985 addition. The library's grand entranceway is truly impressive, and is worth a visit in its own right., and the long, stone balustrade was salvaged from the old Albright Estate by architect E.B. Green
Charles D. Abbott was director of university libraries from 1934
to 1960. Abbott founded the university's famous poetry collection,
originating the plan for collecting poet's worksheets, manuscripts,
letters, and first editions.
The original building was the gift of Thomas B. Lockwood
(1873-1947) and his wife, Marion Birge Lockwood, in memory of
Daniel N. Lockwood and George K. Birge. Thomas Lockwood, a Buffalo
attorney, also donated his extensive collection of rare books to
the new library.