Norton Hall, once primarily known for its food service facilities has continued to evolve in its function. It houses a number of departments providing academic services for the student body. It also includes the large lecture hall known as Woldman Theatre as well as a number of centrally scheduled classrooms. Of particular note is Norton's first floor transformation from primarily a dining area into the Center for Computational Research (CCR), a high-performance computing and high-end visualization supercomputing facility.
Charles Phelps Norton (1858-1923) was a founder of the
university's law school and the University's sixth chancellor
(1909-1920). Norton fathered the concept of the greater University
of Buffalo by overseeing the purchase of 175 acres of land for what
eventually became the South Campus on Main Street. He also
bequeathed nearly his entire estate to the university for student
activities.He also endowed the Norton Medal, UB's highest honor,
which in 2003 went to outgoing UB President William R. Greiner. The
Norton name is the only name that went to three different buildings
over UB's history.