Previously housed on the South Campus in what is now the Abbott
Health Sciences Library, the Lockwood Memorial Library houses a
cybrary site for computer access and one of the finest collections
of books, periodicals, and government documents in New York.
The library is fully equipped for research in the information age,
supplementing its paper collections and comfortable study carrels
with cutting-edge electronic media and engaging, tech-savvy staff
Thomas B. Lockwood (1873-1947) was a Buffalo attorney who served
on the University Council for 28 years. A legendary book lover, he
amassed what was known as the finest collection of rare books,
first editions and manuscripts in the region. The Lockwood family
generously contributed $400,000 toward the original Lockwood
library-now the Health Sciences Library in Abbott Hall on the South
Campus (1933). The Lockwood Memorial Library name was placed on the
new library, in recognition of the original endowment.