The 1970 campus plan called for the construction of 20
identical, linked towers to house the health sciences on the new
North Campus. After the decision to keep the health sciences at the
original South Campus, only these two were built. Cooke and
Hochstetter Halls primarily house the School of Pharmacy and the
Biology Department. Their extensive teaching and research
facilities include small classrooms and large lecture halls, as
well as laboratories and faculty research offices.
Walter P. Cooke (1869-1931) was a Buffalo attorney active in
university life. He was chair of the University Council from 1920
to 1931 and received the Chancellor's Medal in 1926. Cooke
recognized the university as the community's most potentially
important institution. An expert fundraiser, Cooke organized two
endowment drives in the 1920's, earning millions of dollars from
subscribers. Director of Depew Lake Em. Water Company, Western N.Y.
Water Company, People's Bank of Buffalo, Buffalo General Electric
Company, Buffalo Abstract and Title Company, Buffalo and
Susquehanna Railway Company, and Frontier Telephone Company.
Ralph Hochstetter (1870-1955), a Buffalo native, was a successful banker and oil man. Among his many philanthropic activities was a large bequest to the university for medical sciences research fellowships.