Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Anderson Gallery

ANDERS

Overview

Facility
ANDERS
Number
0090
Function
Gross Square Feet
31,725
Construction Cost
Completed
August, 1931
Architect
Unknown

Occupants

Function

In 1987, David Anderson purchased an abandoned elementary school in Buffalo's University District. Renovation of the existing structure and construction of a two-story glass-walled addition was completed five years later. The first floor exhibition space consists of four galleries that comprise over 4,400 square feet. The second floor space includes an exhibition hallway and a glass-walled sculpture gallery, comprising another 4,200 square feet. For the past ten years, the Gallery has produced over seventy-five exhibits featuring artists that are internationally recognized as well as emerging. The Gallery was donated to the University in 2000 and falls under auspices of the Center for the Arts.

Namesake

David K Anderson

David Anderson is part of the tradition of the Anderson family beginning with his mother Martha Jackson, who opened a gallery in New York City at the height of the Abstract Expressionists movement. David operated is own gallery in Paris which afforded him the opportunity to expose European artists to America via the Martha Jackson Gallery. Upon Martha's death in 1969, David returned to New York to run her gallery and subsequently the Anderson Art Gallery here in Buffalo.  In 1991, Anderson relocated his gallery to Buffalo, in a state-of-the-art exhibition space that he created by converting an empty school.

Location map