University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Environment, Health and Safety

Application to Use Radioactive Material

To work with radioactive material at the University at Buffalo, you must fill out one of two types of applications.

Principal Investigator

If you are a principal investigator of a research project involving radioactive materials, and/or qualified individuals responsible for supervising radioactive materials use by associate users or students in laboratories, please complete an "Application for Principal Investigator Authorization" (RMA-1 pdf form). If you need help with the form, please see "Principal Investigator Authorization Application Instructions" (RMA-1a pdf form).

Submit your protocol(s) using the Click Safety Module.

Request a copy of the Campus Radioactive Materials Safety Manual (online version here) This manual specifies practices to aid radioisotope users in recognizing situations before hazards or violations actually occur. Each individual who uses radioactive material at the University at Buffalo must follow the procedures in this manual.

Describe your radioactive material use in an experimental protocol. 

After review and approval of the application, a "Radioactive Materials Authorization" is issued to a Principal Investigator detailing the location, types and amounts of radioactive materials allowed, those associate investigators approved to work in the lab and any other special conditions.

Associate Investigator

If you are an individual (technician, faculty or staff) working under the supervision of and directly responsible to a Principal Investigator, please complete the "Application for Associate Investigator Authorization" (RMA-2 pdf form) if using open sources of radioactive material. Users of sealed sources only, please complete the "Application for Associate Investigator (Sealed Source Only) Authorization" (RMS-2S pdf form).

Please note that individuals under the age of 18 (minors) require additional special approval from EH&S to work with radioactive material.


Return application forms to: EH&S Radiation Safety, 220 Winspear Ave., South Campus