University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Environment, Health and Safety

Other Wastes

Refer to the EH&S Hazardous Waste Management Guidebook for guidance for other types of wastes. Shown below are typical laboratory wastes that must be disposed of in accordance with applicable regulations. 

Photographic and X-Ray Fixer Waste

Fixers contain some silver which must be treated or recovered before it can be disposed of. There are two options available for this material:

  • Recycling: Have a commercial company service your photographic needs. This service typically includes stocking your developer and fixer and removing your waste
  • Put hazardous waste labels on the containers (Section 5.2.2), complete the Request for Disposal form (Section 5.2.4) and fax to EH&S for pickup

Reagents Used in Biological Procedures

The following are reagents that contain mercury and should be managed as hazardous wastes:

Dobbin’s Reagent, Hayem’s Solution, Hopkins-Cole Reagent, Hubb’s Reagent, Jacquemart’s Reagent, Knapp’s Solution, Mercresin, Meyer’s Solution, Millon’s Reagent, Morell’s Solution, Nessler’s Reagent, Rohrbach’s Solution, Sachsse’s Solution, Spiegler’s Reagent, Tanret’s Reagent and Tyrosine Reagents

Other hazardous regents include:

  • Erlicki’s Solution (chromium)
  • Fisher’s Reagent (phenyl hydrazine)
  • Flemming’s Solution (osmium, chromic acid)
  • Folin-Dennis Solution (mercuric cyanide)

Broken Glass

Broken glassware should be placed into an appropriate broken glassware container (hard sided container such as a cardboard box). The container must be sealed and taped shut to prevent injury. Since they will be picked up by custodial staff, these containers should be labeled with the words "Broken Glass."


Do not place broken glassware, pipettes or other sharp-edged materials of any type into the regular trash.

Aerosol Spray Cans

Waste aerosol spray cans still containing product are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of through EH&S.

  • Place a completed hazardous waste label on the spray can
  • Complete Request for Disposal form and fax to EH&S