Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Environment, Health and Safety

Safety Approvals for Research Proposals

It is important to identify the various hazardous materials (biological, radioactive and chemical) that will be part of an experimental protocol.  In some cases, it may be more challenging to control the hazards (e.g. animal biologically shedding the material or agent).  Such materials may pose a hazard to laboratory personnel and other UB personnel (e.g. animal care specialists).

In addition, based on the hazardous materials use, there may be requirement committee approvals, regulatory submittals and permitting prior to the initiation of the experiment.  In some cases, some approvals may be contingent on some of the other required approvals. To start the approval process, fill out the form and complete the appropriate applications as indicated below as soon as possible in the experiment proposal stage:

First, using the guidence below, complete the appropriate application form(s) for the proposed work and submit to EH&S:

A. Biological Agents 

  1. For any of the following agents, the Principal Investigator must complete the "Biosafety Research Application" (docx) for submittal to the UB Biosafety Officer and review by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC):
    1. All pathogenic organisms, infecting human, animal and plant hosts.
    2. The use of Recombinant Nucleic Acids (natural and synthetic), viral vectors and other delivery systems (including nano-particles) in both in vitro and in vivo systems.
    3. Toxins of Biological origin.
    4. Environmently sensitive research activities, including field studies.
    5. Production, breeding and maintenance of transgenic organisms, both plant and animal.
    6. The possession of restricted biological agents and materials and their genetic material designated as "Select Agents and Toxins" as defined under the Patriot Act, and experiments using these systems. Specific information may be found at: link here
  2. Risk - It is the responsibility of the PI to identify and evaluate the risks associated with the project, identifying the risk groups and determining the appropriate biological containment required. Link here. The University Biosafety Officer is available to provide assistance. The IBC will evaluate the project and may recommend changes as deemed appropriate.
  3. Containment categories - link here
  4. If you are using animals submit an Application Form or Minor Amendment Form with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). More info here

B. Radioactive Materials & Radiation Producing Machines

  1. If you do not have an existing radioactive materials authorization, the Principle Investigator must complete the “Application to Use Radioactive Material”(pdf) for submittal to the UB Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and review by the UB Radiation Safety Committee (RSC).
  2. If you do not have an existing authorization to use radiation producing machines, the Principle Investigator must complete the “Application to Use Radiation Producing Machines” (pdf) for submittal to the UB Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and review by the UB Radiation Safety Committee (RSC).
  3. If you are using animals and radioactive material in your research, submit a "Request to Use Radioactive Material with Animals" as well as submitting an Application Form or Minor Amendment Form with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
  4. If you are using animals and x-rays, submit a "X-Ray Experimental Procedures Application" (pdf).

C. Chemical Agents

  1. Consult the UB Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) for definition of particularly hazardous substances.
  2. Ffor particularly hazardous substances, complete a chemical “Standard Operating Procedure” (docx) for submittal to and review by UB Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO)
  3. Consult the list of CFATS chemicals to determine any of the experimental chemical agents are listed.
  4. For any CFATS agents, fill out the "Chemicals of Interest" form.  Inspection and authorization will be required before proceeding.
  5. For controlled substances, consult the requirements at the VP for Research Website.

D. Activities Requiring Special Permitting

  1. For DOD sponsored research, consult the DOD research application instructions to determine if an EH&S “Certificate of Compliance” will be required.
  2. Complete the DOD application form and submit to EH&S for Director’s authorization.
  3. Consult the EH&S Hazardous Waste Guidebook for a definition of Mixed Waste.
  4. For research that creates mixed waste, submit a Form??? Authorization will be required before proceeding

Next, submit the following form to start the approval process for your experimental protocol(s):


My protocol will involve:


Related Links:

Vice President for Research & Economic Development

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee

Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 5th Edition, US Department of Health and Human Services to determine if the experimental agents are rated BSL2 or BSL3 agents.