Environment, Health and Safety
To use a tent at UB, review the tent requirements and complete the tent space request form. Create a map with the location of the event circled. Attach the map to the form as indicated. Please note that we must receive your request at least 10 days prior to the event.
All tents erected on University at Buffalo property will comply with the Fire Codes of New York State (19NYCRR) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 102. The Office of Environment Health & Safety (EH&S) must approve all tents erected and their location.
- Tents shall be constructed of flame resistive material. A certificate showing that the tent was treated to be flame resistant shall be submitted to EH&S. (Sec. 2404.4 19NYCRR, Sec.8-4.1 NFPA 102)
- No hay, straw or any combustible materials will be allowed in or within 20 feet from tents. (Sec.2404.5 19NYCRR)
- Smoking shall not be allowed in tents. No Smoking signs shall be conspicuously posted. (Sec.2404.6 19NYCRR)
- Open flame or other devices emitting flame, fire or heat or any flammable or combustible liquids, gas, charcoal or any cooking device shall not be permitted inside or within 20 feet from the tent regardless of the weather. Warming trays are exempted from this requirement (Sec.2404.7 19NYCRR)
- All food preparation shall comply with Erie County Health Department Regulations.
- Distance from buildings will be 20 feet. Tents will not block or obstruct exits from buildings or any building fire department connections. (Sec.2403.7 19NYCRR)
- If there is more than one tent, spacing between tents are 10 feet between stake lines (Sec.8-5.1 NFPA102)
- Tents will not be staked in paved areas.
Tent Space Request Form
It is the responsibilitiy of the Tent Company to call Dig Safe New York at 1-800-962-7962 before the tent can be erected