The Buffalo-Niagara Region
Our strong sense of community, easy lifestyle and affordability are why Forbes magazine ranks Buffalo one of the top 10 U.S. cities to raise a family. The magazine also ranks Buffalo as the "No. 1 Best City for Working Mothers."
Western New York is home to excellent school districts, many of which have received statewide and national recognition.
There are numerous private school options, including parochial schools.
Options for residents of Buffalo include the Buffalo Public
Schools, as well as a growing number of charter schools. The
Buffalo district’s City Honors High School has
repeatedly made Newsweek’s list of the top 10 U.S. high
schools in the country.
Family Fun at Every Turn
In Western New York, your family can explore nature, absorb
culture and have fun at every turn.
Our family-friendly destinations and attractions include:
- An extensive park system
- A city zoo that’s home to animals from the Arctic to the rainforest
- Numerous nature centers and campgrounds
- An 18th-century fort where history comes alive with re-enactments and demonstrations of military life
- First-class amusement parks, including Darien Lake, Fantasy Island and an old-fashioned theme park geared for younger kids
- A science museum that hosts traveling exhibitions, summer camps and more
- A professional children’s theater
- A children’s museum
- Family concerts hosted by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
- Free family nights at the world-renowned Albright-Knox Art Gallery
- Slopes for skiing, snowboarding, sledding and tubing
- Festivals throughout the year