Office: 320 Clemens Hall
Phone number: (716) 645-2577
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Victorian literature and culture; history of the novel; gender and sexuality; history of the emotions, sensation, and experience.
- Victorian Pain, Princeton Unversity Press, Forthcoming May 1, 2017
- The Marriage of Minds: Reading Sympathy in the Victorian Marriage Plot. Stanford University Press, 2007.
- Co-editor with James Bono, Pain: Politics, Ethics, Aesthetics
- Editor and Introduction. The Feeling of Reading: Affective Experience and Victorian Literature. University of Michigan Press, 2010.
- Editor and Introduction. "Victorian Feeling." Special issue of Victorian Studies 50.3 (Spring 2008).
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Tortured Sympathies: Victorian Literature and the Ticking Time-Bomb Scenario.” ELH 80.4 (Winter 2013): 1145-1171.
- “Harriet Martineau and the Subject of Pain.” Victorian Studies. Summer 2014 (56.4).
- “Victorian Passions.” The Cambridge Companion to the Victorian Novel. Cambridge University Press, December 2012.
- “The Married Women’s Property Act of 1870.” BRANCH: Britain, Representation, and Nineteenth-Century History. Ed. Dino Felluga. September 2012.
- “Addressing the Reader: The Autobiographical Voice.” The Oxford History of the Novel in English, Volume 3, 1820-1880. Oxford University Press, January 2012.
- “Reading and Re-reading: Wilde, Newman, and Fictional Belief.” The Feeling of Reading: Affective Experience and Victorian Literature. (Rpt. in Joseph Bristow, ed., Wilde Discoveries: Traditions, Histories, Discoveries. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2013)
- “Oscar Wilde’s Fictions of Belief.” Novel: A Forum on Fiction 42.2 (Summer, 2009): 175-82.