University at Buffalo
Other Buildings

» List all buildings (incl. Downtown Campus)


Sector Legend
  Arts & Athletics
Academic Complex
Medical & Dental Complex
Housing Complex
Services Complex
Important Info

» Where to Park

» Campus Shuttles

» Directions to Campus

» Where to Stay

» Dining on Campus

» Buffalo Weather

» UB Calendar of Events


Printable Maps (PDF)

Detailed wayfinding maps, including info on parking, campus shuttles, and disability access.

North Campus

 » Color | with bus routes

South Campus

 » Color | with bus routes

Downtown Campus (Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus)

 » Color

Three Campuses (North, South, Downtown)

 » Color


You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF maps.


Townsend Hall (TWNSND) - South Campus, Academic Sector



»  Show Map

Townsend Hall


Originally part of the Erie County Almshouse and Poor Farm, Townsend Hall was originaly home to the Department of Biological Sciences before that unit moved to UB's North Campus. The building is presently vacant.

View photo

Namesake


Harriet A. Townsend A prominent figure in Buffalo's progressive movement, Harriet A. Townsend (1839-1916) founded the Women's Educational and Industrial Union of Buffalo in 1884. The organization was dedicated to promoting "the material, moral and intellectual welfare of the women of our city," and did so with lectures, classes and vocational training at the original Townsend Hall on Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo. In 1915, this building was given to the University of Buffalo by the Women's Educational and Industrial Union. When the building was sold, the university moved the Townsend name to the Main Street Campus.

Historical research and photographs provided by University Archives.

Building Facts

Tenants: vacant

Architect: George Metzger (1903); E. B. Green (1931 renovations)

Completion date: September, 1903

Gross square feet: 25,077

Construction cost: $178,000

Copyright 2014, University at Buffalo, All rights reserved. | Feedback & Contact | Privacy | Accessibility