The university provides and maintains hand hygiene stations campus-wide, including handwashing areas with soap, running warm water, and disposable paper towels or air dryers, as well as an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing 60% or more alcohol for public areas where handwashing is not feasible.
Practicing hand hygiene is an effective way to prevent infections. Cleaning your hands can prevent the spread of germs, including those that are resistant to antibiotics and are becoming difficult, if not impossible, to treat.
Here are some tips for preventing the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses from touching potentially contaminated surfaces.
1. Wash hands frequently and thoroughly (20 seconds) using soap and warm water.
2. Follow CDC’s Handwashing Guideliens
The CDC recommends that everyone follow these guidelines to maintain proper hand hygiene, especially after using restrooms.
3. Use hand sanitizer when handwashing is not possible.
4. Be mindful of touching commonly touched surfaces or shared items such as the following. Wash your hands (or use hand sanitizer) immediately after touching commonly shared items, and before and after getting to your destination.
5. Avoid touching your face, especially after removing your face mask or after touching commonly shared items.
Proper handwashing is a very effective method for infection control. When that is not possible, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reminds us that hand sanitizers should only be used as a substitute for hand hygiene when soap and water are not available. Sanitizers do not get rid of all types of germs, and may not be as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy. Hand washing with soap and water is the most effective means of protection against viruses.
Hand sanitizer dispensers have been placed campus-wide, near all restrooms and drinking fountains and other high-traffic areas, including:
If there is no hand sanitizing dispenser located in public areas where hand sinks are not readily available, please contact University Facilities to request one.
University Facilities continually restocks hand soap in shared campus spaces. Please contact us if you need your soap supply refilled.