On this page:

Construction work at the University at Buffalo must be in compliance with university and state safety regulations to prevent hazards and serious injuries.

Contractor Key Requests

A Contractor that was given proper authorization by their assigned project manager to pick up keys from Customer Service, will need the following items:

  • A key Agreement/Reciept from Customer Service that contains the Contractors company name, project manager’s name, phone number and the length of time the key will be needed
  • They will also need to provide a current driver’s license which will be copied and kept on file in Customer Service until the keys have been returned

Contractors are responsible for the safe keeping of keys issued to them and will be responsible for all costs associated with lost keys (lock changes, recuts, etc).

Contractor Parking Permits

A Contractor Parking Permit (Hangtag) is available for the current cost of $9.65 (subject to change). Hangtags are issued annually at the beginning of the Fall Semester (August) and are valid for up to one school year based on the date of purchase.

How to Obtain a Contractor Parking Permit

  • Contractor shall provide all vehicle/operator information as required to the Department of Parking and Transportation (102 Spaulding Quad, North Campus or 104 Harriman Hall, South Campus) using the "Letter of Authorization for Contractor Parking Permits for Construction Project" application form at the time of hangtag purchase or renewal(s). 
  • Contractor Parking Hangtags are valid for three (3) month increments. Contractor must present a copy of this form to the Department of Parking and Transportation upon expiration of hangtags in order to receive replacement hangtags every three (3) months for the duration of the project. There is no charge for renewals providing they fall within the school year in which they were purchased.
  • In the event that Contractor hangtags are transferred to other Contractor staff throughout the duration of the project, such updated information shall be promptly provided to the Department of Parking and Transportation.
  • In the event that any or all parking hangtags are no longer required by the Contractor, they shall be promptly turned into the Department of Parking and Transportation.
  • Contractor staff shall park in accordance with all University parking rules and regulations in parking spaces designated as “student”, “staff” or “service vehicles only-up to 3 hours”. Parking hangtag is valid only when vehicle operator is performing services in conjunction with the project indicated on the applicaton form.

Contractor Safety Guidebook

The Contractor Safety Guidebook outlines campus safety requirements for contractors and subcontractors who perform construction work at UB. The guidebook provides contractors with site-specific safety, health and environmental rules and policies that must be followed on all university property. The rules and regulations contained in the guidebook describe programs that require special care and consideration, but the guidebook does not cover all applicable safety and health laws.

Digging Safely at UB

UB is a member of Dig Safely New York and endorses the program for all excavation conducted on university property, regardless of location. The Utility Locating Policy ensures compliance with New York State Code Rule 753 (16 NYCCR 753) and applies to all personnel who perform excavation on UB property, including utility marking coordination and field marking activities. Most utilities on the North and South Campuses are marked by UB Facilities personnel but do not contact marking personnel directly, except in the case of emergencies.

Drones at UB

Drone operation at UB is regulated by the Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) Operation Policy. The policy covers all three campuses and includes off campus properties such as Anderson Gallery, the President’s House and those listed on the Design and Construction site. The policy complies with current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations to ensure for the safety and privacy of UB students, faculty, staff and visitors.

Temporary Enclosures

All temporary enclosures constructed on UB property must be in accordance with Chapter 24 of the New York State Fire Code. The individuals constructing and maintaining the temporary enclosure must request a temporary construction enclosure permit and follow the EH&S policy regarding temporary construction enclosures.

Work Zone Safety

Facilities on all three of UB’s campuses are regularly expanding, which may result in highway work zones.  Work zone safety includes the following:

  • Safety for workers on foot around traffic vehicles
  • Safety for students, faculty, staff and visitors who share space adjacent to the work zones
  • Safe operation of construction vehicles in work zones

To ensure safety, the University has adopted the guidance of the Cornell Local Roads Program as published in their guide, Work Zone Safety: Guidelines for Construction, Maintenance, and Utility Operations, May 2008. This manual may be obtained on the publications page at the Cornell Local Roads Program website.

If you need a hard copy of this manual please call the EH&S at 716-829-3301.

Contact an Expert

Headshot of Mark Adams.

Mark Adams, P.E.

Safety Engineer

Environment, Health & Safety

Phone: 716-829-5802


Related Forms, Policies and Links