Holiday Closures

Happy Holidays

Published December 4, 2015

Read about your options if your dean or vice-president closes your unit during the holidays from 12/21 through 12/31/15.

If You Want To Work During Your Unit's Closure

If you elect to work when your unit is closed and you cannot work at your regular location, you may work at Lockwood Library.

Make your arrangements by:

  1. Confirming that your dean or vice-president will close your unit for the holiday period
  2. Arranging for a work assignment or projects for yourself if possible
  3. Notifying Karen Senglaup by phone at 716-645-5951 that you plan to work in Lockwood Library during the holiday period

Charging Time During Closure

Because unit closure days are not official state holidays (except for December 25), if you are absent you must charge time not worked to accrued vacation, personal leave or holiday time. 

Sick leave accruals may not be used.

Check with your supervisor before taking days off during the holiday period.

Don't Have Enough Vacation Time?

If you do not have sufficient accruals you:

  • Can request an advance of up to five vacation days or
  • Choose to take the days off without pay  

If you plan to make use of the without pay option, send a letter to your supervisor. Your supervisor will prepare a lost time letter including:

  • Employee's name
  • Person number
  • Department
  • Supervisor
  • Dates of unpaid time

Send the letter no later than close of business 12/21/2015 to:

            Payroll Services
            Human Resources
            120 Crofts Hall
            North Campus

Contact an Expert

Claudia Samulski

Claudia Samulski

State Benefit Services

Phone: 716-645-4487


Robin Hoeltke

Robin Hoeltke

Payroll & Benefits Administration Manager

UB Foundation

Phone: (716) 645-8735