Snow Removal Policy
Winter snows have historically presented unique obstacles to campus access for students with mobility impairments. The University at Buffalo (UB) recognizes its obligation to ensure proper and consistent snow removal to allow access for students with mobility impairments to all programs, services, and activities on both North and South campuses. In an effort to achieve consistent access for students with mobility impairments during the snow season, UB outlines this formal policy for snow removal.
Each semester, UB's Accessibility Resources (AR) will collect campus travel routes from students whose requests for snow removal have been approved. AR shares this route information with University Facilities to identify key areas for early and extra snow clearing. This information will be used to ensure our paths and walkways are clear and usable to individuals with disabilities during snow conditions.
1. Informing Students
- Students who require snow removal should contact AR to request accommodation.
- Upon request, AR will provide students with mobility impairments a copy of UB's Snow Removal Plan and Procedure . In addition, by the beginning of the semester AR will email the policy to all students with mobility impairments who have requested accommodations through AR. This email will be sent to the student's UB email address.
- Twice per year, by the first week of October for Fall and the first week of November for Spring, UB will inform students with approved requests for snow removal of their need to provide AR with their campus travel routes. The notice will be placed on myUB and in the Spectrum and Reporter.
2. Developing Annual Snow Removal Plans:
- By the last week in October for each fall semester and by the first week in December for the spring semester, AR will review and summarize student travel routes and submit to University Facilities priority places and times for snow removal.
- AR and University Facilities will establish a snow removal plan to ensure student-designated paths remain reasonably clear.
- AR and University Facilities will meet two to three weeks after the first snow to confirm whether the plan is working effectively.
3. Complaints and Reporting:
- Students may call the Snow Removal Hotline at any time to report snow-related obstacles on either North or South campus. UB will rectify problems as soon as possible. Dial x71 (on campus) or 645-2025 (off campus) if you find snow-related obstacles on either UB campus. This number is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- AR will be the central point of contact for snow removal-related complaints and issue resolution. A full record of complaints will be maintained by AR for 10 years. See contact information below.
- A full record of complaints and follow-up actions will be available to any individual, upon request, through AR. See contact information below.
4. Main UB Contacts:
- Randy Borst, Director, Accessibility Resources
25 Capen Hall (North Campus)
- Lou Schmitt, Director, Facilities Operations
Facilities Operations - University Facilities
102 Beane Center, North Campus
- Barbara Ricotta, Associate VP for Campus Life
Associate Vice President, Campus Life
520 Capen Hall
Snow Removal Notification
Students whose request for snow removal are approved must submit their campus travel routes to AR by the first week of October for the fall semester, and by the first week of December for spring semester. For specific dates, please check our announcements page. Students may use the Snow Removal Request Form below to submit their route information, or contact AR directly over phone or email.
Please use the form below to list, in detail, your campus travel routes for classes and any other campus activity.