Alumni and friends honor former pharmacy dean with memorial garden on North Campus
THE UB SCHOOL OF Pharmacy has created an herb, tree and flower garden to honor the late Daniel H. Murray, who served two terms as the school's dean from 1954-69 and 1976-84. Murray died March 26, 1994.
The garden, located in the triangle between Cooke, Hochstetter and Capen Halls on the North Campus, is completely funded by private donations from alumni and friends. The School of Pharmacy hopes to raise $10,000 to create an endowment to permanently maintain the garden. The school will seek support from alumni who studied during Murray's deanship, and from other alumni and interested friends.
"We always wanted to do something for Daniel," said David Triggle, dean of pharmacy until his recent appointment as dean of the graduate school and vice provost for graduation education. "You can do the usual things, like name a lecture series after him or a scholarship fund, but we wanted to do something special. He liked the outdoors. An outdoor memorial is a fitting testimony to him."
Murray is credited with developing the UB pharmacy school into an institution respected worldwide for its research in the pharmaceutical sciences. He brought in a number of distinguished scientists from around the world to the UB faculty in the 1960s. Their work resulted in some of the most significant contributions to the development of new medicines in the past several decades.
Murray came to UB in 1953 as a professor of pharmaceutical chemistry and assistant dean. He retired in 1984 and moved to Gilford, N.H., with his wife, Dorleen.
A sundial, brick pathway and additional benches were added to the garden in October.